well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Buttigieg out
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buttigieg out
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Former South Bend, Indiana, Mayor Pete Buttigieg is ending his presidential bid, a campaign aide confirmed Sunday to CNN.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/01...-campaign/index.html

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37902 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Ok forgive my ignorance, what happens to his delegates now? Doesn't he have 28, while Warren only has 8?? Is Warren expected to drop out as well??? If Pete's dropping out, does that mean other candidates are likely to do that before Super Tuesday???

I have never paid such close attention to the primaries before, and I obviously have zero knowledge....

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18486 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Smart move. Exits with his rep intact.

He has a long career ahead of him.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34959 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Delegates are committed on the first round.

Posts: 12533 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Smart move. Exits with his rep intact.

He has a long career ahead of him.

What I believe as well...he'll do good for this country.

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
Delegates are committed on the first round.

His delegates won’t vote at all?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34959 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
No, they're committed to cast their ballot for him in the first round vote at the convention. They're not allowed (as far as I know) to be free agents and pick another candidate of their own choosing. In some cases (2008, for instance), the losing candidate (Hillary) releases the delegates so that the winner is "elected" by "acclamation," without a roll call vote of the states.

Posts: 12533 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
No, they're committed to cast their ballot for him in the first round vote at the convention. They're not allowed (as far as I know) to be free agents and pick another candidate of their own choosing. In some cases (2008, for instance), the losing candidate (Hillary) releases the delegates so that the winner is "elected" by "acclamation," without a roll call vote of the states.

I think it's more complicated than that, and there are some state-by-state distinctions... But I can't remember where I was reading about it...

Although, maybe I'm thinking of something other than the "first round vote" -- are there necessarily multiple votes, or only in certain circumstances?

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18486 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I just saw this regarding regarding the delegates:

https://heavy.com/news/2020/03...candidate-drops-out/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37902 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Well, I'm bummed but not surprised. I hope he remains in public service, perhaps in the senate. I think we need people with brains in Washington.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I was never a fan. Shrug.

Posts: 24720 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
He and Klobuchar are both endorsing Biden.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
He and Klobuchar are both endorsing Biden.

Makes perfect sense.

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
I gave him some money early on - I liked what I heard from him...

Today I got an email from his campaign urging all of his supporters to rally around Biden.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7555 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Never thought Pete was in to win, but to enter the national stage. He had very little chance to be Indiana governor so this was the logical next step. He did a fine job of it too. Smart and likeable.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13556 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post