well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    DeSantis causes more trouble
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DeSantis causes more trouble
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted
https://abcnews.go.com/amp/US/...ns/story?id=87637743

On a brighter note, I noticed today our new neighbors are flying a large rainbow flag.

This is a red neighborhood in a red county. SO and I decided we didn't want any attention (not that our immediate neighbors are stupid).

The new flag is comforting. I kinda feel bad for not being as brave.

Posts: 24653 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
If only someone would find a time when he called himself Rhonda Santis.

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
ROTFLMAO

Posts: 12511 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post

Posts: 12511 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
ROTFLMAO

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
That picture with Rhonda Santis should be widely shared.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
If only.

Posts: 24653 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
It would be perfect if a drag queen adopted that name.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13779 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
We fly two rainbow flags on our flagpole in the yard.

They include a Peace pride flag and a standard rainbow flag. I will take a photo of the actual flags later. I am not 100% sure which rainbow flag we are flying. I know there are a few variations representing people that don't fit in the original color scheme. I am still learning about all of the variations of symbols embraced by the LGBTQ communities . My oldest and youngest daughters are making sure I do and I love it.

We have been flying them a few years now. New neighbors moved in a few months ago. A family of 5 with small children. They made a comment about the flags and said they made them feel welcome.

My youngest daughter was the brave one. I guess, she has made me and MRS. Mark brave as well, because I will not take them down except to refresh them when they get tattered and torn.

Posts: 13630 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markj:

They look like this.
Invisible?

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12682 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Axtremus:
quote:

They look like this.
Invisible?

Sorry, see edited post. Wink

Posts: 13630 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
That's terrific, Mark, and I applaud you for not only listening to your daughter but hearing her, thinking about it, and adjusting your mindset.

I've had a similar but I suspect lesser degree of shift in mindset, also prompted by my daughters. It's a work in progress, for me.

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
That's terrific, Mark, and I applaud you for not only listening to your daughter but hearing her, thinking about it, and adjusting your mindset.

I've had a similar but I suspect lesser degree of shift in mindset, also prompted by my daughters. It's a work in progress, for me.

Thank you Quirt. I have grown and adjusted quite a few of my old ways of thinking about the world. So much in fact, that I now agree with you more than I do anyone who votes for GOP policies these days.

Growing up in what I can only describe as borderline extreme homophobic environment starting with the catholic church and the homophobic bullies that it produces. Anyone who even so much "looked" like they had, or exhibited any feminine, or even different ideas, exhibited too much education, etc. were mercilessly bullied and beat up. And there was a pecking order. When I was in college and AIDS hit the scene, the propaganda that was spread about it, further drove the effects of growing up as I did.

Deep down I didn't hate anyone except the bullies.

It took me a lifetime of missteps in thought and direction and a lot of self-examination to get to where I am.

I had already shed my learned bigotry and was well prepared for when our daughter came out to us a few years ago now. I was actually proud of the fact that she knew she could come out to us and not lose one bit of our love or respect. In fact, it made me and her mother respect her more.

I was never a "conservative" but as you well know, more of a slightly vocal Libertarian minded person. Wink A lot of Libertarian is still in me mostly in the "live and let live" side of the equation (with rules of no harm to others in mind) I think that mindset helped a lot to get me out of the mess I grew up in.

Much to my mothers (and sisters) dismay, I am now a complete and unashamed, atheist. Funny how growing up catholic but then actually reading the entire bible, doing some deep learning about the universe and how it actually works, will do that to some of us. lol I tried to reconnect to that faith a few years ago but it just confirmed that I made the right decision the first time. I was going though the motions trying to reconnect mainly for my daughter who was suffering from treatment resistant depression. I was at my sleep deprived, wits end trying to stop her from committing suicide. It really did nothing for us and was not helping at all. Then finally, a endocrinologist found a partial answer that was enough to get her through it. She is not doing too well health-wise. She was in a pretty bad car crash a few years ago and she also ended up with a diagnosis of MS. She weighs next to nothing, is under 30 years old and walks with a cane. I am still in fear for her life after all these years Her long term survival still weighs heavy on me.

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside.

Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
quote:
A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside.

Well said, Mark.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7379 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Mark,
Thank you