well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Sanders holds double-digit lead among young voters

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sanders holds double-digit lead among young voters
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted
What are we (should we) do? It would be very unwise to ignore this, imo.

https://thehill.com/homenews/c...ers-by-double-digits

--------------------------------
http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10571 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
The 20-somethings I know and work with are worried about the economy and health care. Will they get a job? If so, will it offer health care? These are college-educated or college students with ambition, smarts and drive. But the world is unbelievably competitive, and good jobs, even in this economy, aren't easy to find. The first job is always the toughest, but what I've seen professionally and anecdotally is an increase in minimum requirements (jobs that used to require a bachelor's now want an MA/MS/MBA for no particular reason that I can tell) and so-called entry level jobs expecting 2-3 years experience. Wut?

What will win in 2020 is a focus on health care and the economy, including a hard look at the Trump tax plan and the increasingly skewed distribution of income.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Bernie is a conundrum.

Posts: 24717 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
A lot of it is probably name recognition this early, especially among younger voters who probably pay less attention to politics than us geezers.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
They will abandon Bernie for Mayor Pete.

Just watch.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:

Just watch.

Please, let it be so. I don't think Bernie can win.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21347 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:

Just watch.

I think you may be right, unless Bernie decides to run a scorched earth campaign and refuse to bow out or endorse anyone else until way late in the game. I think he has a core of support that will be with him no matter what.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
quote:

Just watch.

I think you may be right, unless Bernie decides to run a scorched earth campaign and refuse to bow out or endorse anyone else until way late in the game. I think he has a core of support that will be with him no matter what.

We've seen it happen before. They'll follow his lead off a cliff. And then, when he finally endorses the eventual nominee, they'll refuse to follow his lead and go vote for a Russian agent.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
quote:

Just watch.

What makes you think so? From what I can tell, Pete Buttigieg isn't a 'my way or the highway' kind of guy. He seems capable of compromise and it seems to me one of the most obvious traits of Bernie Sander's supporters is their inability to even think about compromise.

I hope it's true, but I have doubts.

Posts: 10571 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
From my perspective, there is a core of Bernie Bros that are exactly as you describe, Bernard. They will never abandon Bernie, and never compromise. But I'm also assuming (hoping?) that there are a larger number of previous or current Bernie supporters who are willing to switch their vote based on issues and pragmatism, particularly as the candidate options are reduced. To be clear, I'd vote for Bernie if he ended up being the Dem candidate. But I think there are better options.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
From my perspective, there is a core of Bernie Bros that are exactly as you describe, Bernard. They will never abandon Bernie, and never compromise. But I'm also assuming (hoping?) that there are a larger number of previous or current Bernie supporters who are willing to switch their vote based on issues and pragmatism, particularly as the candidate options are reduced. To be clear, I'd vote for Bernie if he ended up being the Dem candidate. But I think there are better options.

100% agree.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
The Trump of the Left

Combine what Bernie has raised with what he has left from his previous campaign and he has 32 million $.

Not a fan, but Anybody But Trump

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
I hope these die hards are a very small minority. https://talkingpointsmemo.com/...y-clinton-nomination

twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
I still wonder what things would have looked like if Bernie had won in 2016. I think he would have beaten Trump. The party of "No" would have fought him tooth and nail.

There wouldn't have been a tax cut. He might have moved to expand the ACA without success.

Thoughts?

Posts: 9597 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post