well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    COVID updates - Fall 2022

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

COVID updates - Fall 2022
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
A COVID wave of BQ infections that started in New York has already reached California. It’s about to engulf the rest of the nation, experts say

https://finance.yahoo.com/news...arted-213251657.html

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
New Omicron boosters that were initially touted as offering better protection against more recent COVID strains may not be any more effective than the original jabs, according to two new studies published this week.

Those who received the new Omicron booster as their fourth COVID shot had a similar immune response to a variety of COVID variants as those who received a fourth shot of the original vaccine, according to a study from Columbia University and the University of Michigan, published Monday.

A Harvard University–affiliated paper released Tuesday came to the same conclusion: that the original vaccine and updated booster performed very similarly. Both “markedly” increased antibody response, though not the response of T cells—the oft neglected other half of the immune system that doesn’t prevent infection, but can reduce the severity of it.

Both papers cite “immune imprinting” as a potential reason for the new booster’s inability to outperform the original vaccine. It’s a phenomenon in which an initial exposure to a virus—say, the original strain of COVID, by infection or vaccination—limits a person’s future immune response against new variants.

“Repeatedly updating” COVID vaccines “might not be fully effective” owing to the phenomenon, Australian scientists warned in a 2021 paper published in the journal Trends in Immunology.

https://fortune.com/well/2022/...al-pandemic-endemic/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I still have not gotten the most recent shot. I think I've written before that each previous vax/booster hit me hard and the last one especially. Since there hasn't been a good time for me to deal with two weeks of migraines (what I got after the last shot), I just keep putting it off. We have a little break coming up and I thought I would do it then, but now I don't know...

I've been teaching in a mask, and not gotten anything (cold or otherwise, knock on wood)...

So I need to spend a little bit of time and read these updates, but it seems like it gets harder and harder to suss out the best course of action...

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18329 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I’m kind of in the same boat as far as deciding whether to boost with the bivalent shot. I’m finally over the weird heart stuff that popped up after my last shot. Took nearly a year. I’m not sure what to do.

I’m still masking and am not exposed to nearly as many people as you are on a day to day basis. It’s an easier call for me to skip the shot.

Bazootiehead-in-training

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
finally over the weird heart stuff that popped up after my last shot.

Thank goodness!!!

[quote]not exposed to nearly as many people as you are on a day to day basis.[/qupte]

Which is why I had been planning to do the latest shot... But these masks have been doing a great job so far, so... if it ain't broke???

I dunno what to do. Blink

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18329 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
We got the bivalent vaccine.

I’d do it again, but maybe not if I’d had wtg’s reaction.

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I got the latest shot and had no reaction, which I attribute to getting the Pfizer version.

My friends who got the Moderna had all sorts of adverse reactions.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I've still not had any systemic reactions to any of the shots. I had six full-dose shots and the bivalent booster.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
I got the latest shot and had no reaction, which I attribute to getting the Pfizer version.

My friends who got the Moderna had all sorts of adverse reactions.

All three were Pfizer for me.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
I've still not had any systemic reactions to any of the shots. I had six full-dose shots and the bivalent booster.

I think it just boils down to some people react to the shots, and others don’t. Kind of like getting the virus. Lots of different ways people react, some asymptomatic and others deathly ill. Some get over it and for others it’s long COVID.

Unpredictable and nasty bug it is.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I think, for me, the boosters have passed the point of doing more harm than good.

I will not give my informed consent to getting another one, let alone to getting them seemingly without end.

Posts: 24654 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
I think, for me, the boosters have passed the point of doing more harm than good.

I will not give my informed consent to getting another one, let alone to getting them seemingly without end.

And you base this opinion on what, exactly?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:

And you base this opinion on what, exactly?

My right to give informed consent.

Posts: 24654 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post