well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Don't mess with kitty
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Don't mess with kitty
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MVqA8Rs7AM

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37683 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Eeker

Is that Highland Park, IL??

Before he died, my Dad had told me about coyotes in his neighborhood (not far from Pickle Piano) and they were always super careful about their little doggie because of that.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18295 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
No, it's Highland Park, CA.

And yes, coyotes are also a problem around here. Just a couple of days ago, a little boy was bitten by a coyote in Lincoln Park. And a little while after, a coyote bit a man in Streeterville.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/u...s-chicago-s-n1112816

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37683 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Last year in Santa Fe we were entering our driveway, which is a steep dogleg to the right. Looking up from the road, a coyote stood in the middle of the driveway looking back at us. I stopped the car and waited. After about twenty seconds he sauntered off into the juniper. There is a reason for the coyote fence around the garden.

Posts: 12480 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
So far all we see around here are deer.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18295 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
Need more coyotes.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34810 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad: There is a reason for the coyote fence around the garden.

Do coyotes mess up your garden?

Posts: 34810 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
What makes a fence a coyote fence?

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25665 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
What makes a fence a coyote fence?

I think it must come from Acme.

Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Poor kitty. Cats belong indoors nowadays. Poor baby.

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Fences don't keep out coyotes unless they are really tall. A friend in Arizona has a six-foot-ish wall around his backyard, and he's lost a small dog to coyotes who came into the backyard. They apparently are terrific jumpers.

I had a coyote once in my front yard in Massachusetts. I looked out the window, and saw what looked like a dog on the front walkway. I walked closer to the window to get a better look ... nope, it was a coyote. In the middle of the day.

Posts: 45721 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
As Quirt says, they are great jumpers. I've seen videos of coyotes sailing over a five foot fence.

We live half a block away from a golf course and two cemeteries, so we have a lot of open space nearby that the coyotes can call home. My neighbor, the one who has the young puppy, has texted me numerous times in the last couple of weeks to tell me she saw a coyote on her street or in her front yard. I've also seen them crossing the street in front of my house. Have also seen pairs of coyotes in other parts of town.

We also have a fox. Apparently it's quite large and healthy looking with a beautiful bushy tail.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
Need more coyotes.

ROTFLMAO

Posts: 12480 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
The coyote fence around my house off in the background ...

It goes well over my head.

They're called coyote fences in NM and AZ. Don't know if they have the same name elsewhere. Coyote fences are usually 7-10 feet tall. Here's a closeup of one.

They keep most large critters out. The coyote fence at my house was put in when the guy who built the house woke up and saw a bear in the garden chowing down on his bird feeders. But they'll also keep out coyotes, foxes, deer, and the stray javelina. Rabbits can easily dig under them ... Big Grin

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
That fence is gorgeous!

(I think that cat would have been dinner eventually, if the owner hadn’t let it in). e was a reason our cats were not let outside in Maine, between the coyotes (which are apparently now a coyote wolf hybrid, the one rico and I saw was HUGE) and foxes, they would have been toast.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20399 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post