well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    I finally broke down
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I finally broke down
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted
The piano tuner is here now.

She’s Swiss, I’m not worried. lol

But this is just the second outsider in our house since February (the other a visiting nurse).

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Scary.

I haven't broken down yet.

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Jon, I had my tuner here on Saturday! He wore a mask the whole time, we also wore masks although we stayed out of the piano room. After he left, we kept our masks on and opened up two opposite windows and set up fans to put air from one window and push if through the other to air out the piano room. I also displayed superhuman levels of restraint and didn't play my piano for 24 hours (although he did also clean the keyboard when he finished).

I think those precautions make it ok, but having someone actually in your house is a little different from going out somewhere (another thing I'm not doing.... :P

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18509 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
P.S. when was your last tuning?

Posts: 18509 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Like I said this woman is Swiss (Swiss-German even) so she’s very meticulous. N95 upon entering and wore gloves for the tuning.

Also she hasn’t been tuning very much. Jiulliard sent her 5 pianos over her months of quarantine for regulation and repair which kept her busy and paid. And home.

She last came in December so I was overdue. I probably would have scheduled her in April had it not been for Covid.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I bet it sounds wonderful!

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I'll really play it tonight. All I did was a few scales to check the tuning.

How does yours sound?

DO you like your tuner?

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I played it last night and I thought it sounded great except for one spot! So I'll play it again today and if I hear that, I'll have to call him back. Which I hope I don't have to do...

In general I like my tuner a lot (we're friends on FB, he's very anti-Trump, so that's a plus! Big Grin

When I bought the piano, he regulated and voiced it and I thought he did a great job. He does all the pianos at a nearby college and seems to be much more of an all-around piano tech than the guy I used to use before I got my upright. It seemed like he only wanted to do the bare minimum, so when I started grand shopping, I got a referral from a piano prof here, which is how I met my current tuner. Smiler

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Our electrician just left. I have to wipe down everything now. He wore a mask while in the house.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
We had a crew finish the hardwood floors.

We are preparing to remodel the two upstairs bathrooms, which will involve a crew of about four people working for a month.

I'm trying to time the work for the fall so we can leave the windows open. And we will move to the main level and squeeze into a small study that has a full bath attached.

I guess I'm on the other end of the bell curve?

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I need a tuning too. I’ll have to email my guy and see if he’s working during Covid.

Jon — wondering if by chance your tuner’s first name is Brigitte.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
That is her! How do you know her?

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Swiss German. Lol.

My maternal grandfather was Swiss German.

So I'm 1/4 Swiss German.

He was meticulous. Just period.

I can be every bit as meticulous as he was but I admit it's an aspect of my personality and not its overriding feature.

I'm glad you got your piano tuned. Good for you.

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:

I guess I'm on the other end of the bell curve?

ROTFLMAO

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
That is her! How do you know her?

When I first started researching techs who might rebuild my action, I contacted Sara Faust of Faust Harrison Pianos. She highly recommended Brigitte Simms and mentioned she had rebuilt someone’s action up in Westchester. So since you’re up there, I thought I’d mention her name.

I have not met her in person, though we did an email exchange.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post