well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Hi guys...and whole grain sorghum

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hi guys...and whole grain sorghum
 Login/Join

Not as tall as PL
What Life?
posted
I just wanted to stick my head in here and catch up. I miss coming here more often, but time is so precious these days.

I think of you all often - and see some of you on FB and PW.

Anyway, many of you do not know that I am a popcorn-aholic. I will go and see a movie just to get popcorn, I have tried many "gourmet" and "heirloom" varieties, and I have just learned that whole grain sorghum can be popped and eaten like corn. So I have tried all the usual suspects in my area, Trader Joe's, Wegmann's, and Whole Foods. A couple of them say they have it when you search online, but none of them do.

I would rather not buy it online, but it looks like I might have to. Any suggestions?

--------------------------------
rich galassini
cunningham piano co.
215 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com

Posts: 2679 | Location: Philly/South Jersey | Registered: 17 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Can't offer online assistance. I can only offer bad puns.

If you don't pop it just right you get .... sore gums.

Posts: 12474 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Bobs Red Mill offers it on line. This means that any local merchant that handles BRM products can order it for you.

But why not buy it on line?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34795 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Have grown and harvested grain sorghum.
It creates a dust that digs into human skin and will drive a man nuts. It is harvest in hot, sweaty August and September which makes the itch worse.
It is related to corn.
Hope Rich reviews the sorghum popcorn and posts it here.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25656 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Bob's Red Mill sounds like your best bet to me. It's a national brand, so it should be no problem to order online or to get a local store to order for you. According to a map in this interesting article written by the sorghum industry, it's possible you could find some at a farmer's market, as it's grown near you, but most of the grain-type sorghum is grown in the middle of the country.

Oklahoma is evidently a big sorghum state. Our house is in a subdivision carved out of a sorghum field, and it's really quite lovely in the autumn with its red seedheads and green leaves against the blue sky. The sorghum that I was familiar with in the South is "sweet sorghum," a very different variety that looks much more like corn. It's not grown for the seed heads. The stalks are used like sugar cane to make syrup and the whole plant is ground into silage for cattle.

Please let us know what popped sorghum tastes like!

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15496 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
A couple of the higher-end stores around here have huge shelves of Bob’s Red Mill products. Maybe you can find it locally?

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Hi Rich! Nice to see you.

A discussion about popping various grains. Be sure to read the comments.

https://wholegrainscouncil.org...rn-or-popped-sorghum

I know you said you preferred not to buy online, but there is a site that sells sorghum specifically for popping.

https://shop.justpoppin.com/Popping-Sorghum_c_47.html

They even have an air popper they say is ideal to pop sorghum.

Looking forward to hearing how the experiment works out!

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37651 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Hi Rich! Good to see you here! This is the first I’ve heard of whole grain sorghum like popcorn. Now I want to try it. Let us know what you find!

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20398 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Hi, Rich! Nice to see you here!

Bob’s Red Mill is online and it’s actually local to me. I toured their facility last year, when gluten-free Mom-in-law was visiting us. Great company. And Bob, the retired owner, still comes to the play the piano there now and then.

Let us know what popped sorghum is like, please!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9785 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I love Bob's Red Mill.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.... Smiler

Posts: 35360 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I love Bob's Red Mill wheat germ. I use it instead of breadcrumbs to make eggplant parmigiana.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30027 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post