well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Impossible Whopper

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Impossible Whopper
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
The Impossible Burger is coming to Burger King as the Impossible Whopper, in a market test that could lead to the largest restaurant industry embrace yet of a plant-based meat substitute.

The Impossible Whopper will feature the same bun, cheese and condiments as a traditional Whopper, but with Impossible's plant-based patty where animal meat is normally found. Fifty-nine Burger King stores in the St. Louis area will offer it as of April 1, with a potential expansion to the other 7,100 US restaurants later in the year.

While the partnership is debuting on April Fools' Day, it's no joke. Burger King is making an unusually high-profile endorsement of plant-based meat, while Impossible is facing its own Tesla Model 3 moment in terms of going mainstream.

I got a jump on the debut when I arrived at Impossible's Silicon Valley headquarters carrying two bags of Whoppers from the local Burger King. There, J. Michael Melton, Impossible's technical sales and culinary manager, cooked up a batch of the patties they're supplying to Burger King, using the same broiler Burger King uses. He swapped them in for the beef in the Whoppers (with professional dexterity that somehow left the burgers appealing) and I took a couple bites.

The remarkable thing was how unremarkable they were: Nothing gives away the fact that this Whopper contains a different main ingredient.

The patties supplied to Burger King will be based on Impossible's new 2.0 formulation that was announced at CES in January, 2019. Among other upgrades, this formulation holds up better in restaurant environments like sitting in hot holding trays or the 6-inch drop at the end of the conveyor that grills the patty for exactly 2 minutes and 35 seconds at 630 degrees.

"We're making meat from plants. That's never been done before," Impossible Foods founder Pat Brown told me, tacitly demoting competitor Beyond Meat's plant-based burger. "People have made plant-based replacements for meat, but they haven't made plant-based meat."

https://www.cnet.com/news/no-a...and-youd-never-know/

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37929 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
quote:
The remarkable thing was how unremarkable they were: Nothing gives away the fact that this Whopper contains a different main ingredient.

This. I tried one when they were first available in a local restaurant. It tasted and chewed just like a burger should.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7556 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
quote:
"We're making meat from plants. That's never been done before," Impossible Foods founder Pat Brown told me, tacitly demoting competitor Beyond Meat's plant-based burger. "People have made plant-based replacements for meat, but they haven't made plant-based meat."

He's a bit full of himself.

But I tried it as well and it passes. I'm glad they now have a vegetarian alternative; sometimes I find myself needing something quick and easy on the go. (And I love French fries.)

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10573 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
It’s not particularly healthy, though, and is higher in saturated fat than a lean meat burger.

Food for thought

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Barf

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post