well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Dog Owners Are Happier

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dog Owners Are Happier
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted
https://www.washingtonpost.com...pisrc=nl_most&wpmm=1

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25656 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
What if you own both?

eta: never mind. I see the story says they cancel each other out.

But this is inconsistent with the research that says that pet owners live longer. (Because there's also research that, on average, happy people live longer.)

Could it be because the happiness is self-reported?

Posts: 45718 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
That was research? Who knew. Big Grin

Posts: 12474 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I saw that. It doesn't control for other reasons the dog owners might be happier though...other conditions in their lives.

--------------------------------
“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13763 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
... selection bias. What every undergraduate is taught about in introductory econometrics.

Posts: 12474 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post