well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    A blast from the past
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A blast from the past
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of well-tempered gardener
posted
Fond memories of my childhood. Used to go with my best friend to a little store that sold penny candy. I can't remember the last time I had them:

Stumbled across them at Bed Bath and Beyond, in the World Market food section. eta: The whole bag is only 140 calories!

--------------------------------
Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 22724 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I’ve never seen those. We made do with Necco Wafers.

Do they still make Necco Wafers?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 26514 | Location: Yorba Linda, CA | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Ha! They do! They were always kind of chalky but now I want some.

Where’s my Christmas list?

Posts: 26514 | Location: Yorba Linda, CA | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of well-tempered gardener
posted Hide Post
Looks like Necco production is currently stopped, but you may be able to find them somewhere. Mr WTG loves Neccos.

The Satellite Wafers (we used to call them "flying saucers") consist of two communion-like wafer domes glued together and filled with little sugar beads inside; they rattle around when you shake the candy. You put the whole thing in your mouth and let the wafer dissolve, along with the little sugar beads.

Bad candy, but I love them.....they're made in Belgium...

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 22724 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
The candy I remember fondly is from England (my dad is British). This “sherbet fountain” is a white sweet sour powder that fizzes big time in your mouth, it has a licorice straw that you dip into the powder to eat. I used to love that stuff (but tried it recently and it was too much!)

https://wisechoiceuk.com/produ...sherbet-fountain-5g/

The Cadbury flake (that was always stuck in an ice cream cone) Chocolate there tastes different than chocolate here.

http://www.thebritishshoppe.co...s/Cadbury-Flake.html

And Smarties (like M&M’s, but the chocolate is different, and the candy coating is thicker - they are now made by Nestle, but it used to be Rowntree)

http://www.thebritishshoppe.co...-smarties-tube-170g/

Smiler Jodi
http://todayatmydesk.weebly.com

Posts: 18021 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by well-tempered gardener:
Looks like Necco production is currently stopped, but you may be able to find them somewhere. Mr WTG loves Neccos.
That would explain why a roll of Neccos is $5 on Amazon.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Nothing tops candy cigarettes. Smiler
Mom had a fit.
At recess we could get to a little shop next to the elementary school.
That was soon forbidden.

Slogan for ANYONE running against 45 in 2 years (Republicans included): “Hindsight 2020”

Posts: 20313 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Black necco wafers are the only edible ones. Big Grin

Posts: 31662 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
Black necco wafers are the only edible ones. Big Grin
ThumbsUp They are awesome.

Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the human race. -- H.G. Wells

Posts: 11677 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post