well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Dare we peek at the polls?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dare we peek at the polls?
 Login/Join

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted
I've been watching the polls all summer. It's become an unhealthy obsession on fivethirtyeight. I check poster ratings and their lean, whether the poll is likely voters or registered voters, the trends from one pollster's poll last month to this month, and of course anything concerning battlegrounds.

Most of all, I having been making myself sick with anxiety over whether Biden would tank or Trump would rise after the conventions.

So far, I see some tightening of the national and battleground polls, but not much. Biden still has the inside track. For now. More polls are expected over the next few days, so it is going to be a nail-biter for me.

I don't know. I think a lot of voters have baked-in opinions against Trump, and I cannot imagine them changing their minds because he says black people might move into their neighborhoods.

Bottom line: The debates will decide it, and again Biden has the inside track. All he has to do is sound rational and moderately intelligent, and folks will see him as a reasonable alternative. And it's not like Trump is a good debater or can debate in a way that changes who he is.

I'm really in knots, you guys. I'm not sure if I can stay in my job if Biden loses. And I kind of like my job.

Thanks for listening.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I'm not particularly worried. Perhaps I should be, but I would rather not knot my stomach. Trump doesn't need a bounce. He needs a trampoline.

Sure it's possible, but I'm not counting on a James Comey and an email disclosure. The odds that something compromising comes out of Trump are larger than something terrible coming out about Biden. The problem, of course, is that "terrible coming out of Trump" has become banal, old hat. How would you notice it from the background rot.

For instance ... this is completely unhinged:

Trump is Even Too Loony for Ingraham

About debates ... yes, I think Biden would wipe the floor with Trump. At least that's what any sensible journalist not employed by Fox or OAN would say. But how many minds will be changed? Maybe five. The downside for Trump is pretty much zero.

I would be very happy if Biden simply set several very reasonable conditions: live fact checking and no audience. If Trump declines, that's on him.

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
What about the drug testing that I-1 suggested?

--------------------------------
pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
This poll has an interesting methodology. It has Biden up by 11.

quote:
The USC Dornsife poll, a joint project of the university’s Center for Economic and Social Research and the Center for the Political Future, surveys each panel member every 14 days. The current results are based on responses from 5,106 panel members.

The poll asks respondents to use a 0-to-100 scale to give the likelihood that they would support Trump or Biden. It also asks them on a separate 0-to-100 scale to give the likelihood that they will vote. Using those numbers, the poll calculates the probability of each person voting for the candidate.

In theory, because that approach uses information from all voters surveyed, it should provide a more complete look at the electorate than other polls that give people a choice between candidates but then count only the group of respondents who are deemed likely to vote.

Separately, the poll also asks respondents how they believe friends, neighbors and other people in their social circles will vote. That question shows a smaller Biden lead, 50% to 45%.

The closer result on the question about friends and neighbors could be evidence of a hidden Trump vote — people who won’t say on a poll that they’re voting for Trump, but will tell their friends. But other explanations are also possible, including that some Democrats, still stung by the upset result in 2016, simply overestimate the number of people who will vote for Trump.

https://www.latimes.com/politi...oups-backed-him-2016

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
The polling was a disaster last time, so I'm not paying attention to it.

I can't think of much to say about the debates.

I will be the dissenting voice and say I think Trump would clobber Biden under the traditional format. I'll leave off my reasoning for now at least.

But the debates aren't set (the pandemic messing with everything?).

In fact, Nancy Pelosi was just "caught" on video saying she'd tell Biden to refuse to debate Trump.

WTF?

Posts: 24710 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
What does it mean to "win" these days in a televised debate?? In this America, where facts seem optional, truth is to be denied and bluster and confidence seem to be all that is needed to solidify followers.

Fact-checking? What percentage of T voters even care or believe in it? Debates just give the propaganda arm of the Republican media more air time to fill fawning over Trump.

Assuming a Biden win and the even getting the senate, the first order of business should be to pass a law similar to the Radio act in Canada...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7554 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I listened to a data analyst interviewed last night on Axios--talking about the "red mirage." It's all over the news today.

Basically, his data models show that it's quite likely that Trump will look like he's won in a landslide on election night, because those numbers are driven by in-person voting, which is dominated by GOP. Mail-in balloting, dominated by Democrats, is slower to count. In addition, people are requesting mail-in or absentee ballots at the highest rates ever. So the result of all this is a situation where election results on the first night may show Trump in a landslide, but as the mail-in ballots are counted more slowly over the next days (or weeks!), they should swing decisively toward Biden.

It's an interesting theory, and it may keep many of us from going on a bender on election night. On a more serious note, it also creates a situation where the Donald can talk about rigged elections, and gives him days to gin up his rabid base to create mayhem. I'm nervous, personally.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I don't think it's possible to win a debate these days. I'm not even sure that a protracted period of demented babbling on the part of either party would win a debate in these demented times.

I do think it's possible to lose one by failing to be able to use a water bottle properly and tripping over one's own elevator shoes. It would be very on-brand for 2020 if Trump finally does fall on his face, as he has nearly done several times, right in the middle of a tantrum at the debates.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15510 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Post convention polls:

Source: https://projects.fivethirtyeig...nt-general/national/ as downloaded on 2020-09-02 around noon Eastern Time.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12688 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
I listened to a data analyst interviewed last night on Axios--talking about the "red mirage." It's all over the news today.

Basically, his data models show that it's quite likely that Trump will look like he's won in a landslide on election night, because those numbers are driven by in-person voting, which is dominated by GOP. Mail-in balloting, dominated by Democrats, is slower to count. In addition, people are requesting mail-in or absentee ballots at the highest rates ever. So the result of all this is a situation where election results on the first night may show Trump in a landslide, but as the mail-in ballots are counted more slowly over the next days (or weeks!), they should swing decisively toward Biden.

It's an interesting theory, and it may keep many of us from going on a bender on election night. On a more serious note, it also creates a situation where the Donald can talk about rigged elections, and gives him days to gin up his rabid base to create mayhem. I'm nervous, personally.

Trump will appear to win or be close to winning when the polls close in Texas.

He will claim victory.

From that point on, any other result will be dismissed as based on fraud.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Oh, interesting polling from Fox news, which FiveThirtyEight says is an A- pollster.

It shows Biden leading in AZ, WI, and NC.

If Biden flipped only those states (and Trump held onto Florida, Penn, and Ohio), Biden would have 284 if he held every state Hillary won.

That could explain Trump's recent trip to Minnesota. He needs to flip a Hillary state, and that is his best target.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:

I expect it to "hit the fan".

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I posted this on Facebook earlier today, it's from Nate Silver:

quote:
Chance of a Biden Electoral college win if he wins the popular vote by X points:
0-1 points: just 6%!
1-2 points: 22%
2-3 points: 46%
3-4 points: 74%
4-5 points: 89%
5-6 points: 98%
6-7 points: 99%

We need to run up the score.

None of AZ, WI, or NC are givens. At least two of them have Democratic governors. But Colorado isn't a given either, Nevada could be put into play, etc.

And the CDC is being pressured to approve a vaccine before the election, which is a true wild card.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Nah. There won’t be a vaccine tested, approved, and available. In sixty days?

I’ll bet only a small percentage of Americans will step up Trump rushed to market to help himself get re-elected.