well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Reversing Type 2 diabetes?
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reversing Type 2 diabetes?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Taylor's research finds that if a patient loses 30 pounds or so, diabetes can be reversed in its early stages. Taylor prescribes a strict liquid diet and limited exercise — at first — so as not to stimulate the appetite. People with Type 2 diabetes need to lose fat from the liver and pancreas.

Ultimately, Taylor hopes better nutrition will become the preferred response to high blood sugar in the next decade.

"I think the main headwinds [against progress] are just conceptual ones — of scientists and doctors believing this is an irreversible condition because of what we've seen," he says.

Even the American Diabetes Association has been changing its views. The advocacy group has a new position on Type 2 reversal: "If a patient wishes to aim for remission of type 2 diabetes, particularly within 6 years of diagnosis, evidence-based weight management programs are often successful."

John Buse, chief of endocrinology at the University of North Carolina medical school, helped write the American Diabetes Association's revised guidance. "We've known, literally since the 17th century, that diet is the key to managing diabetes," he says.

https://www.npr.org/sections/h...ch-diabetes-reversal

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37898 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
That’s an interesting read. Diabetes runs in my family on my dad’s side, but family members on that side who had it weren’t particularly overweight, so losing 30 pounds wouldn’t have been an option.

My mom was diagnosed with diabetes, but increased physical activity eliminated her need for Metformin for several years. (She walks a lot.) She’s not a larger person, either, so a 5% weight loss for her would only be about 6 pounds.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I know of so many people who were able to reverse or eliminate pre- and diabetes through weight loss and exercise. But, like AdagioM, my grandfather developed it in his 60s and he was a fit, normal weight guy. So it's not perfect but it's certainly encouraging for many (maybe most?).

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Exercise has brought me down from inching into pre-diabetes to somewhat below that.

Of course, it depends on what you're measuring .. blood glucose or A1C. My blood glucose level has dropped a good bit ... my A1C not as much.

More weight loss would help, with everything.

Posts: 45741 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I'm reading this article while having coffee and a biscotti.... Leaving

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18472 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
(now that I've finished the article) that does seem promising.

Weight loss is so hard, to achieve and maintain... There are so many barriers to it, but it has so many positive effects on health in all kinds of ways. But because it's not easily prescribe-able, it often ends up like an afterthought. And for insurance plans like those around here, which tend not to pay for anything that's thought of as preventative, insurance won't pay unless it's a pill...

Posts: 18472 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Yeah, well.

Everyone in my family at my generation has diabetes or pre diabetes.

Much of the problem with reversal is that the doc gives you a pill and says lose weight and exercise. But the pill removes the urgency. And heck, why not eat that pie and just up the dosage?

Telling people they have to lose 30 pounds is nuts. That is completely out of reach for the people in my family. I mean, if they could do that, they wouldn't have diabetes in the first place.

I have seen how my siblings are handling it. One got serious about exercise and started PX90. He tweaked his diet and is no longer pre diabetic with no discernible weight loss.

The other went from diabetic with exercise, but she is going to be in trouble soon. Lots of pill popping, not enough exercise. Oh well. We all get to decide for ourselves.

Me, I just swore off the hard sugar. It really slams me. Just not worth it.

I think the reason I've avoided it is morning exercise on an empty stomach. Maybe giving your body a long period of not processing sugar makes the difference?

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
Yeah, well.

Everyone in my family at my generation has diabetes or pre diabetes.

Much of the problem with reversal is that the doc gives you a pill and says lose weight and exercise. But the pill removes the urgency. And heck, why not eat that pie and just up the dosage?

Telling people they have to lose 30 pounds is nuts. That is completely out of reach for the people in my family. I mean, if they could do that, they wouldn't have diabetes in the first place.

I have seen how my siblings are handling it. One got serious about exercise and started PX90. He tweaked his diet and is no longer pre diabetic with no discernible weight loss.

The other went from diabetic with exercise, but she is going to be in trouble soon. Lots of pill popping, not enough exercise. Oh well. We all get to decide for ourselves.

Me, I just swore off the hard sugar. It really slams me. Just not worth it.

I think the reason I've avoided it is morning exercise on an empty stomach. Maybe giving your body a long period of not processing sugar makes the difference?

Short fasting (12 hour periods of no eating) is definitely a thing, and it helps me a lot.

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
I'm reading this article while having coffee and a biscotti.... Leaving

ROTFLMAO

Posts: 12533 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:

Short fasting (12 hour periods of no eating) is definitely a thing, and it helps me a lot.

Wait....don't we do that daily?

7pm to 7am

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
It may also be less about weight loss and more about the types of foods we eat..

Americans eat lots of processed foods.. Perhaps without so much weight loss but eating more fresh veg and fruit, less processed foods, that the needle can move.

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I don't have any reason to think I'm at risk for diabetes at this point, and type 2 doesn't run in my family. But I am aware that I could probably benefit by reducing my sugar intake, like if I stopped with the biscotti afternoon snack, that would probably be good...

Here's what I had today that's probably bad:
1. always have 1.5 (ish) teaspoons of sugar in coffee, and I have about 3 cups a day.
2. granola+all-bran w/ yogurt for breakfast, the granola has 6 grams per serving, and all-bran has 6g.
3. biscotti - lately I have eaten one or two every day, how did that happen!
4. granola bar snack thingy
5. salad dressing probably has sugar or HFCS, right? (it's too good not to).

(the rest of today was healthy, I think)

So, that's maybe not super bad, and surely it's offset by all the fiber I have every day (big salad at lunch, usually steamed veggies with dinner etc.) but I think there are refined and processed things I eat every day that I would probably benefit if I cut out....

Speaking of type 2 diabetes though suave it runs in Mr. SK's family and his mother recently went from prediabetes to diabetes Frowner
But Mr. SK totally changed his eating habits last year when he was having stomach/gallbladder problems, including going from having a bowl of white rice with dinner almost every night to having white rice maybe once a week, sometimes less (white rice is really bad b/c of it's high glycemic index). He's made some other changes and increased his fiber in take as well. He also works out 3x a week and is generally active. I bet doing all those things is really helpful and hopefully he can avoid developing diabetes like his mother.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LL:
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:

Wait....don't we do that daily?

7pm to 7am

Lots of people eat later in the evening and/or earlier in the morning.

For me, dieting works best if it's a 16-hour overnight fast.

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
I have an unscientific theory about fasting.

When you take a fasting glucose test, they want you to fast overnight. Then they give you a sugary drink and do a blood draw. That lets them know whether your body is processing the glucose drink quickly or enough or whatever.

Well, since I wake up and exercise on an empty stomach, that is probably Revving up my response to glucose and sugar naturally and frequently.

Now, give me my Nobel prize.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
I have an unscientific theory about fasting.

When you take a fasting glucose test, they want you to fast overnight. Then they give you a sugary drink and do a blood draw. That lets them know whether your body is processing the glucose drink quickly or enough or whatever.

Well, since I wake up and exercise on an empty stomach, that is probably Revving up my response to glucose and sugar naturally and frequently.

Now, give me my Nobel prize.

I've had fasting blood tests in several cities and by several doctors, but I've never been given a sugary drink before the test.