well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Induction Range?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Induction Range?
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted
t is time to replace my 15 year old gas slide in - it has a glass top that has broken twice now - I fixed it the first time, is near impossible to clean and the knobs are way too easy to turn, making it much too easy to accidentally turn on the gas.

Thinking about an induction range. I have used induction cooktops in cooking classes and loved them - fast and precise. anyone have one? I know I might need to get some new cookware but that's OK.

--------------------------------
"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13549 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
A friend built a house and decided on an induction range. Her mom (who has dementia) lives with her and she thought it was the safest alternative.

She absolutely loves it. She only had a couple of pans that work on it, and some of those work better than others. She's still in the process of acquiring cookware that will work with induction.

I don't know what brand of range she bought; I can find out if you are interested...

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37880 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Never heard of them.
Looks great.
Consumer Reports

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I am interested, WTG. Been waiting for the prices for consumers to come down for a decade.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Word of advice. I have a single induction burner. I love, love, love it.

However, my daughters hate it. Apparently, it causes cookware (particularly clad cookware, maybe other kinds, I'm not sure) to vibrate and give off a high-pitched noise. Neither of them can stand to be anywhere nearby when I am using it, the sound drives them crazy.

Figure out a way to test particular pots around your daughter before you buy/install it and buy new cookware.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I had a single burner countertop unit (cost was like $80) and it was noisy. I asked my friend to comment on any noise hers might/might not make.

I pinged my friend and will post results when I hear back from her.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37880 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
My mistake. She has a cooktop.

quote:
I don't have a range, I have a cooktop and it is the Frigidaire Professional line. I love it. I bought it because I wanted the control "knobs" and did not want electronic controls (which the majority of cooktops have these days). There is a Frigidaire Professional induction range but I cannot vouch for the range oven (I have KitchenAid ovens).

Very little noise and based on my usage the primary source of noise is actually from the cookware. The lighter weight and less expensive the cookware the louder the noise (by a lot). My enamel pans make no noise and heavier expensive multi-ply pans (like the one you gave me) make very little noise. Cheap pans make a lot more noise.

BUT this is based on my usage and I typically use only 1 burner at a time (at most 2). I have never used all burners at the same time (which I understand can cause more noise). You know I am sensitive to noise and it has never bothered me based on my usage.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Thanks. My current range is a Frigidaire Professional and I have been unimpressed.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Might be worth digging a little deeper to find out who actually makes the individual "Frigidaire Professional" appliances. FP is a brand and doesn't have much meaning by itself. Who knows who actually makes Frigidaire Professional refrigerators vs Frigidaire Professional cooktops and ranges? Some years back when we were buying a refrigerator, the salesman pointed out that the four models we were considering (that varied quite a bit in price) were all made by Maytag. They were sold under Maytag, Amana, and Kitchen Aid brand names (don't recall the fourth one -edit: Yes I do. It was Jenn-Air).

I would avoid Samsung kitchen and laundry appliances because their warranty service stinks to high heaven, and unfortunately those lines of products seem to have a high failure rate. But I haven't had issues with their electronics like TVs and such.

I just replaced my thirty year old Thermador gas cooktop and electric oven with a Dacor gas cooktop and GE oven (was too cheap to buy the Dacor oven). Six months in I'm happy with both.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
If you have gas available I’d go with that. It’s the #1 choice of professional chefs and simple as a claw hammer. I’d also look long and hard before I invested in one of the upscale lines like Wolf, Viking or DCS. A lot of them don't cook any better that a standard residential range and some of them are worse.

Don’t even ask what it costs to fix one.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34927 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
My friends put in an induction set up in their condo remodel. They love to cook and love it.

The expense and lack of models that fit my space had me passing.

And yet you can get a portable one burner version from IKEA for $50. We have one at the office for heating up soup. Shrug

Someday the kitchen version pricing should come down enough for the average kitchen..I hope.

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BeeLady:

And yet you can get a portable one burner version from IKEA for $50.

Yep. I got mine from Amazon for something like that price, plus or minus.

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
If you have gas available I’d go with that. It’s the #1 choice of professional chefs and simple as a claw hammer. I’d also look long and hard before I invested in one of the upscale lines like Wolf, Viking or DCS. A lot of them don't cook any better that a standard residential range and some of them are worse.

Don’t even ask what it costs to fix one.
Yeah, I am leaning that way. Induction will cost me $900 more than a gas range in the same exact line- $1400 vs $2300 - plus the cost of new cookware.

I would not consider one of the 'professional' lines. Real professional equipment requires installation of safety insulation, etc. It is a device to apply heat to food. Nothing more. No status symbol. I care that it works properly and is easy to clean.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I do think you might benefit from a single, cheapo, stand-alone induction burner. It has uses. It isn’t as hot in the summer as a gas range (because, unlike gas, no heat escapes up the side), and it boils water twice as fast. And it can give you very precise temperature control.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Commercial appliances, as you point out, are a whole different beast. "Professional" is just a branding strategy and not anything with real meaning. They're just trying to create the illusion that you, too, can be a "professional chef". According to Consumer Reports, the Frigidaire Professional line is medium-priced, sort-of-ok-but-nothing-special line.

By the way, I checked and the Frigidaire name is owned by Swedish company Electrolux (has been since 1986). All of the Frigidaire appliances are made in the US, except for refrigerators, which are made in Mexico.

https://www.reference.com/home...ces-476cc878d96ab6e6

Bazootiehead-in-training