well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Telework / telecommuting tips if you've not done it before

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Telework / telecommuting tips if you've not done it before
 Login/Join

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted
For all of us working stiffs, it's probably a good idea to become familiar with your telework/teleconferencing options. Google hangouts has teleconferencing (you need a google account).

I've been using Zoom, which has a huge capacity for meeting logins.

If your place of work requires dual authentication for offsite work, now is the time to get that set up. Most require some sort of download, and a setup (which often has to happen on site) that links the authentication to your mobile phone.

Online meeting etiquette: Take roll, ensure that everyone is heard, go around the virtual room and ask for input, use the "chat" function that's available in most virtual meeting apps to see if anyone has things to say that have been overlooked, and for all that is holy, put yourself on mute when you're not talking. Big Grin

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Number 1? Be available. Don't let calls roll to voicemail unless unavoidable. Respond to emails quickly.

--------------------------------
"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
and for all that is holy, put yourself on mute when you're not talking. Big Grin

Is this the voice of experience speaking?

Big Grin

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
When I teach online in the summer, I send out a daily announcement. This allows me to touch base with students and I think it makes my presence as the instructor more real for them. I also put daily instructions in that announcement with hotlinks (e.g. "complete assignment here," where "here" links to the assignment)

This is of course for teaching, but there is probably a corollary for working/non-teaching. Check in with your immediate supervisor, team or staff first thing in the morning, let them know you're "at work," and maybe state what you're working on, or what they should be working on, etc.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18330 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I've been working in my robe and bunny slippers since last Friday.

I have a good setup: Docking station for my laptop, three monitors, real keyboard and mouse. I actually have more pixels than I do at work. I like pixels. I am connected through my wi-fi router and the connection would be a bit better with a wired connection, but I'm downstairs and the router is upstairs at the other end of the house.

I don't have a working printer at home. A couple days ago, Mrs. pj and I found a company office building four or five miles from home and snuck in to print something. I still print documents to proofread and review, but it's a luxury. I also need to scan stuff once in a while. I plan to go by my office tomorrow to scan some stuff.

Everyone in my building got set up to work from home many years ago when a dam several miles away started leaking and we were looking at the potential of the entire valley flooding.

We use webex a lot. My computer has problems joining a meeting, but once it's going, it's okay. I just have to remember to join the meeting five minutes early.

Just think of how much money you'll save not commuting. Or doing laundry. I may put my robe in the washer at the end of the week.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30030 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post