well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Complex but vital analysis of migratory trends in the US, resulting from climate change.

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Complex but vital analysis of migratory trends in the US, resulting from climate change.
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted
Mind-blowing really - all the factors needing to be included in futuristic modeling like this we must deal with. Yet looking at the total picture, it's equally puzzling that no one's been doing serious work on the problem until now. Perhaps, without computers able to be taxed with such problems, people only dealt them in the short term. (Including the related problem of garbage disposal.)

Still haven't fully grasped why there is reportedly a tendency to move toward risks when faced with these various developments caused by climate change and its fall-out. (The risks highlighted here being the coastline, warmth, and desert areas like Nevada and Arizona.)

I also still haven't gotten straight on why vastly increased urbanization is another certain result of climate change.

It seems one factor - moving toward warmth - is simple short-sightedness. That people tend to move toward warmer climates as they age, never mind that temperate now will become scalding in relatively short order.

Guess they (we? I?) are only wanting to avoid being cold in the Winter, never mind both the rising heat and the fact that the land they're moving to is sinking under water. "Après moi le déluge " literally. Guess they aren't concerned about their property value by then. (Besides which some states - notably N.Carolina - refuse to publicize accurate information about rising sea levels because of their realtors' lobby!)

Coming migrations in the US

--------------------------------
The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
The mind-boggling complexity of international - third world especially - migrations is too much to contemplate. Actually, I take that back as the article points out. That simpler societies just move according to basic considerations like access to water and arable land. Unlike richer ones, they are unable to forestall calamity, for instance by adaptations like hugely expensive seawalls and air conditioning.

Which reminds me, of the subject of air-conditioning and its energy consumption. This seemingly insoluble feedback loop is another devastating climate change issue to be dealt with. I certainly want to believe the human mind will come up with an energy efficient way of achieving the cooling effect of AC...

--------------------------------
The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post