well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    How Space and Time Could Be a Quantum Error-Correcting Code

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How Space and Time Could Be a Quantum Error-Correcting Code
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
Or, what's a qubit?

quote:
In toy “holographic” universes (if not the real universe), the fabric of space and time emerges from a network of quantum particles. Physicists have discovered that this works according to a principle called quantum error correction.

In 1994, a mathematician at AT&T Research named Peter Shor brought instant fame to “quantum computers” when he discovered that these hypothetical devices could quickly factor large numbers — and thus break much of modern cryptography. But a fundamental problem stood in the way of actually building quantum computers: the innate frailty of their physical components.

Unlike binary bits of information in ordinary computers, “qubits” consist of quantum particles that have some probability of being in each of two states, designated |0⟩ and |1⟩, at the same time. When qubits interact, their possible states become interdependent, each one’s chances of |0⟩ and |1⟩ hinging on those of the other. The contingent possibilities proliferate as the qubits become more and more “entangled” with each operation. Sustaining and manipulating this exponentially growing number of simultaneous possibilities are what makes quantum computers so theoretically powerful.

Lots more here:

https://www.quantamagazine.org...cting-code-20190103/

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37683 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
When qubits interact, their possible states become interdependent, each one’s chances of |0⟩ and |1⟩ hinging on those of the other. The contingent possibilities proliferate as the qubits become more and more “entangled” with each operation. Sustaining and manipulating this exponentially growing number of simultaneous possibilities are what makes quantum computers so theoretically powerful.

I understand the first sentence. I kind of understand the second sentence. I have no clue how the third sentence follows from the first two.

Posts: 45721 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
First, I'd like to commend you for actually trying to understand the article. The concepts are a stretch for most folks (myself included). I mostly posted it for the qubit joke Big Grin

That said, does this description help understand the sentence in question?

https://www.scientificamerican...akes-a-quantum-comp/

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37683 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post