well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Face Mask Pattern?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Face Mask Pattern?
 Login/Join

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
You want it to be easy for you to breathe through, too, or you won’t wear it.

There’s a good video in this page from Deaconess Hospital in Indiana. The pattern is the same one listed in dol’s post, but the video makes it easy to understand. Me, I’d reinforce the corners, unlike the person in the video.

My friends have been using this pattern; my nurse friend is wearing them at work for general use, and has a plastic face shield for when something really protective is needed.

--------------------------------
http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9789 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen any yet, but my sister says that there are patterns with ties instead of elastic.

We each have one mask I bought for yardwork, so we are working with those, but if I decide to make any for us or to donate to hospitals, I'll have to use the tie version because I don't have any elastic.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15506 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
There was an article in the news last night that Jo-Ann stores are completely overwhelmed. They initially offered kits for people to make masks and gowns. Many of the stores have gone to curbside pickup only.

The average adult head is between 22 and 24 inches circumference. I made a bunch of hats last year and made most of them in 22, 23, and 24 inch sizes. I had one request for a 20 and one for a 26.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30030 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Anna:
I haven't seen any yet, but my sister says that there are patterns with ties instead of elastic.

We each have one mask I bought for yardwork, so we are working with those, but if I decide to make any for us or to donate to hospitals, I'll have to use the tie version because I don't have any elastic.

The one I’ve been making uses ties. It’s a little more complex to sew but the fit is great! It’s designed to go over top of an N95, but can be worn alone.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4083 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Also, if you’re wearing them full time, the elastic can be irritating to the backs of the ear. Some nurses are sewing buttons to their head wraps so they can secure the elastic there.

We’d only be wearing them when out to shop (trying not to do that) so I’ll use elastic for us.

If you have bias tape, you can use that for ties. And I just found some name tag tape with Son1’s name imprinted, from when we sent him to camp 24 years ago...

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9789 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I'm going to try to make a few this weekend. I have one old N95 mask I wore the last time I went out. I think the idea of making a cloth mask to go over it is a great idea.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Two done. I modified the pattern a bit so the pieces on the ends are tubes and I threaded a cord (about 50 inches) up from the bottom of one side, then down the other side. The upper loop goes over the tops of the wearer’s ears, then the lower ends tie at the back of the neck. It looks like the surgical masks in M*A*S*H.

The first one took a couple hours. But I made a template for marking the fabric quickly. Subsequent ones will go much faster.

I liberated wires from an old piece of CAT5 cable to put a wire in the top edge. It’s plastic-coated copper, so it can be machine-washable (in a lingerie bag to keep the ties from getting tangled up).

When I once again figure out how to post pics, I’ll post some pics.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com