well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Face Mask Pattern?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Face Mask Pattern?
 Login/Join

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted
I want to sew a handful of face masks for the few necessary ventures out of the house.

I've been looking online and all of the patterns I have found are for a mask that is made of two pieces of fabric, each sort of half-shield shape with the curved edges sewn together and that seam is in the vertical middle of the mask.

Has anyone seen a pattern for a surgical-style mask that is a rectangle with a couple of pleats on each side?

I don't have a printer and I'm looking for something I can cut and sew just by measurements, not by tracing a pattern.

And, since I don't subscribe to Pinterest, the stuff on there is useless because it gets obscured after a minute.

Anyone?

--------------------------------
pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
share picture

I apologize for the blurriness. A friend posted it as a local organization is looking for this specific design to be made, and that’s how how it appeared in her post.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4092 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
To make it fit tighter above the nose, I am thinking a twistie sewn in that area which could then be pinched when the mask is on my face.

Have you heard about the piece of plastic forva shield?

I can't think of what they are called, but the sheets that a piece of printed music would go into. It is actually two pieces.

Just imagine now two holes on the top which a long piece of ribbon goes through and ties on the back of your head.

The unit would be worn from forehead down.

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Dol. I'll blow that up so I can see it and take a look.

Several of the patterns I found include a pocket for a wire over the nose bridge and suggested using a paperclip.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
pj - is this what you were thinking of?

https://buttoncounter.com/2018...-a-picture-tutorial/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37933 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post

https://youtu.be/sOJ_sm137fQ

Got the video and the previous link from here:

https://bathnbody.craftgossip....-viruses/2020/02/27/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37933 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
That's exactly what I was looking for. Perfect. Thank you.

I might not get quite so fancy for the first few. And the only elastic I have on hand is more like springy rope. But I have plenty of ribbon and yarn, so I should be able to make them with ties instead.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
We cross-posted. I'm not sure if the video in my most recent post is simpler than the pattern in the other post.

I haven't found any with metal to allow it to pinch the nose. I'll post if I do find something.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LL:
To make it fit tighter above the nose, I am thinking a twistie sewn in that area which could then be pinched when the mask is on my face.

Have you heard about the piece of plastic forva shield?

I can't think of what they are called, but the sheets that a piece of printed music would go into. It is actually two pieces.

Just imagine now two holes on the top which a long piece of ribbon goes through and ties on the back of your head.

The unit would be worn from forehead down.

There are some patterns that incorporate twisties or pipe cleaners over the nose.

Just make a casing at the top wide enough to thread such a wire.

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I think this is what BL is talking about, using a twistie.

https://www.chezvies.com/2020/...n-diy-dust-mask.html

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
I think this is what BL is talking about, using a twistie.

https://www.chezvies.com/2020/...n-diy-dust-mask.html

Yeah but not the great video I would have posted ..however it is now SWAMPED by all the DIY vids now on line...

Just put a casing at the top, thread the wire in before you sew up the sides... If you sew, you should be good.

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Thank you BL and WTG...

That's about like what I was thinking.

And I know what tomorrow's project will be.

Getting nervous here.

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Someone also suggested floral wire.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Maybe add a furnace filter layer? Some of the better ones get close to the virus level of filtering...

https://www.instructables.com/...uckbill-With-Filter/

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7556 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I’m way out on the edge of this one but there is a vacuum cleaner bag version that is said to work very well.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34970 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post