well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    UNC-Chapel Hill...
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

UNC-Chapel Hill...
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted
...moves online in week two of the fall semester.

https://www.unc.edu/posts/2020/08/17/shift-to-remote/

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18504 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Seems prudent.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34969 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Apparently it’s real.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah, that has been making the rounds on FB...

Also, we had our college-level meeting today and our dean mentioned UNC-CH. I know our upper administration is paying very close attention...

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18504 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Downside is that now all of those kids will go home and infect their families.

Posts: 34969 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
We're still full steam ahead, despite the entire sorority that is quarantined in their sorority house because 24 of them tested positive.

(It was an off-campus house, although I'm not sure this matters. They're all going to the same bars and parties where the virus is getting passed around. The whole town is going to have a COVID flare in two weeks.)

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
We're still full steam ahead, despite the entire sorority that is quarantined in their sorority house because 24 of them tested positive.

So you've got your very own cruise ship ...

We're partial steam ahead too. Partial because of the web of restrictions in place, and the limited set of F2F offerings. We have tents going up all over the place for faculty who would prefer to teach outside. They'll have all the computer comforts of home. Big Grin

Posts: 12537 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Anna:

(It was an off-campus house, although I'm not sure this matters. They're all going to the same bars and parties where the virus is getting passed around. The whole town is going to have a COVID flare in two weeks.)

Good grief.

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
The headline's phrase has been running through my mind quite a bit lately.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Add Michigan State and Notre Dame.

Posts: 45742 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Ithaca College today too. A friend’s freshman daughter is crushed. But it’s the right thing to do.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Interesting.

Apparently UNC has something they call a research center. The promotional blurb refers to them as “respected”. Not so much, apparently, this research center recommended total shut down and were completely ignored.

If the college doesn’t trust them, why should anyone else? What’s a degree from an irrelevant research center worth?

Why would anyone ever hire a graduate of UNC?

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I love my dean.

Our annual faculty retreat happens virtually tomorrow. The agendas are always marvels of minimalism, with items generally being not much more than "Assistant Dean's Report," "Associate Dean's Report," and "Dean's Report."

Tomorrow, we'll welcome new faculty and run through five or six routine line items. And then there's this gem of COVID understatement:

Circumstances of the Semester
- Briefing from Ed
- Q&A

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Seems predictable enough.