well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    COVID odds and ends
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 23

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

COVID odds and ends
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Add United Airlines to the list of companies requiring vaccination....

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2021/...ndate-employees.html

Local restaurants requiring proof of vaccination...

quote:
Diners and music lovers who frequent Hey Nonny in Arlington Heights and want to sit indoors must show proof of COVID-19 vaccination beginning Tuesday.

Owners decided earlier this week to establish the policy for indoor patrons after noting the rise in infection rates.

"In a music venue and restaurant, the advice (from health officials) on masks is wear a mask except when you're eating and drinking," said co-owner Chip Brooks, who said he and his partners don't believe that is a realistic option for Hey Nonny.

"The only way to handle this is to do what every music venue in Chicago is doing: requiring proof of vaccination. Restaurants all over the country are doing that, so we didn't feel we were out on the edge," he said.

Emails went out to people holding tickets for shows taking place over the next two months, he said. The venue also posted the policy on its website and an online reservation service.

Reaction was swift, said Brooks, who compared vaccination card checks to checking IDs.

"Most people are positive but lots of people are negative -- aggressively, angrily negative," he said, adding Hey Nonny's vaccination policy is not a political statement.

"We're aware the issue is deeply politicized and people have strong feelings about it. We respect that," he said. "We just have to do what we think is right for us."

People dining outdoors do not need to show proof of vaccination and only need to wear face masks if they enter the venue for some reason. Masks are not required for indoor patrons who have demonstrated they're vaccinated, although employees will remain masked.

"We're just trying to do the best we can to keep our friends and neighbors safe," said Brooks.

Seems like the squeeze on unvaccinated folks is increasing...

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37849 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
Some parents are gonna go nuts.

[QUOTE] Gov. J.B. Pritzker on Wednesday announced that all students and teachers in schools will be required to wear masks while indoors, as state officials take steps to try to slow the spread of the delta variant of COVID-19.

And on cue....

quote:
Scott Tranter’s wife teaches fifth graders in Arlington Heights.

"She wants the kids to be free," said Tranter. "She wants them to have the flexibility to speak freely, clearly. With masks, they’re shy. They’re fifth graders. She needs them to come out of their shells. The masks keep them in."

Students say yes, the masks are a pain to wear. But St. Viator’s High School student Margaret Fecko agreed the adults are making more noise about it than the kids.

https://www.fox32chicago.com/n...on-heights-residents

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37849 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I wonder how much of this is being driven by insurance companies.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34883 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I am so, so tired of the mask paranoia.

They're fifth graders?? They can learn to get used to masks.

Jeezus.

You know what will keep kids in their shell? Having to go back to remote learning. Having to quarentine. Getting sick from covid.

I still just don't get why this is so hard.

Well, actually I know why it's so hard, it's because of all the misinformation that is out there.... And even for kids, their parents' attitudes towards masks become their attitudes, that's just how it works.

Sigh.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18388 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
When Mom and Dad are against masks, they come up with all kinds of reasons they're bad for the kids.

Several of my neighbors who have kids, and who recognize the value of masking, have talked them up and even made a game out of them. I know a couple of three year olds who wear them without objection.

It's all about the parents, and very little about the kids.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Yep. Yes

Posts: 18388 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
They're batsh!t crazy.

quote:
Florida’s Board of Education approved an emergency rule Friday that will allow private school vouchers if parents feel their children are being harassed by a school district’s COVID-19 safety policies, including mask requirements.

The parents could request the vouchers under provisions that are usually used to protect children who are being bullied.

"‘COVID-19 harassment’ means any threatening, discriminatory, insulting, or dehumanizing verbal, written or physical conduct an individual student suffers in relation to, or as a result of, school district protocols for COVID-19, including masking requirements, the separation or isolation of students, or COVID-19 testing requirements, that have the effect of substantially interfering with a student’s educational performance," the rule reads.

https://www.fox13news.com/news...nts-who-oppose-masks

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Even people who have recovered from COVID-19 are urged to get vaccinated, especially as the extra-contagious delta variant surges — and a new study shows survivors who ignored that advice were more than twice as likely to get reinfected.

Friday’s report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention adds to growing laboratory evidence that people who had one bout of COVID-19 get a dramatic boost in virus-fighting immune cells — and a bonus of broader protection against new mutants — when they’re vaccinated.

quote:
Scientists say infection does generally leave survivors protected against a serious reinfection at least with a similar version of the virus, but blood tests have signaled that protection drops against worrisome variants.

The CDC study offers some real-world evidence.

Researchers studied Kentucky residents with a lab-confirmed coronavirus infection in 2020, the vast majority of them between October and December. They compared 246 people who got reinfected in May or June of this year with 492 similar survivors who stayed healthy. The survivors who never got vaccinated had a significantly higher risk of reinfection than those who were fully vaccinated, even though most had their first bout of COVID-19 just six to nine months ago.

A different variant of the coronavirus caused most illnesses in 2020, while the newer alpha version was predominant in Kentucky in May and June, said study lead author Alyson Cavanaugh, a CDC disease detective working with that state’s health department.

That suggests natural immunity from earlier infection isn’t as strong as the boost those people can get from vaccination while the virus evolves, she said.

https://apnews.com/article/sci...853fad6eee41a7310c2e

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
They're batsh!t crazy.

Yes, yes they are. VeryAngry

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
It may not be today. It may not be tomorrow. It may not be next week. It may not be this month, when the rapid ascension of the Delta variant in the United States could send confirmed daily case counts spiking to 200,000 or more before settling down again. It may not even be next year. But someday, you will almost certainly be infected with the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus.

This uncomfortable fact may come as a surprise to many Americans, particularly to those who have spent hours sanitizing surfaces and groceries, who have dutifully adorned a mask even when not required to do so, and who have made the simple, science-backed decision to get vaccinated. SARS-CoV-2 has already spread around the world, infecting hundreds of millions or more. The genie is out of the bottle, and it is not going back in.

“We will be dealing with this virus forever," Dr. Michael Osterholm, the director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy (CIDRAP) at the University of Minnesota, said in an interview one year ago.

https://www.realclearscience.c...onavirus_788009.html

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
someday, you will almost certainly be infected with the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus.

It's hard to think about this without feeling some paranoia, mainly because it still feels unknown.

If you tell me I'm going to come down with a case of the common cold, I know what that feels like and I feel pretty confident on the course the illness will take and that I'll come out of it ok at the end.

Despite reassurances that the vaccine prevents serious illness, coming down with covid still feels too scary.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
quote:
They're batsh!t crazy.

Yes, yes they are. VeryAngry

and there is no cure for that in sight

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Kids and COVID.

quote:
I treat pediatric covid patients. What I’m seeing in our hospital scares me.

https://www.msn.com/en-US/news...scares-me/ar-AAMVuqb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Frowner

My niece is going to be 11 next month, so she's no where near the 12 y/o cut off. I used to worry about her because of the risk she poses to my mother (my mother spends a lot of time with her and helps my brother's family with child care, drop offs and pick ups etc.) Now I just worry about them both equally. Frowner

So obviously, I hope they approve the vax for 5-11 y/o age range soon, but the last I heard, it sounded that won't happen until at least Oct/Nov...

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
Kids and COVID.

quote:
I treat pediatric covid patients. What I’m seeing in our hospital scares me.

https://www.msn.com/en-US/news...scares-me/ar-AAMVuqb

I passed that one along to relatives with a bunch of kids that have chosen not to vaccinate any of the family...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7550 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post