well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    COVID odds and ends
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 23

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

COVID odds and ends
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
GOP Sen. Lindsey Graham on Monday lauded the Covid vaccine after testing positive for the disease, saying that his “symptoms would be far worse” without it.

quote:
Graham started to show symptoms when the Senate was in session over the weekend working on the bipartisan infrastructure bill. It is unclear how many other lawmakers in the Senate came in close contact with Graham.

Graham attended a Saturday night part aboard Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin’s houseboat, NBC News confirmed. The West Virginia senator’s office did not confirm whether Graham was there, but spokeswoman Sam Runyon said Manchin is fully vaccinated and “following the CDC guidelines for those exposed to a COVID positive individual.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/0...n-lauds-vaccine.html

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
100,000 cases in single day.

https://youtu.be/uwr4zNXECgE

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
New York City will require workers and patrons at indoor businesses to show proof of vaccination starting on Sept. 13, becoming the first major U.S. city to take such action amid a surge of new cases nationwide driven by the highly transmissible delta variant.

The new mandate announced Tuesday, dubbed the "Key to NYC Pass," will apply to indoor dining, gyms and entertainment venues.

https://www.npr.org/2021/08/03...avirus-delta-variant

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
NYC has also designed an application which I believe is called NYC Pass, where people can upload vaccination records. It has a phone app so if you're out and about you bring up the app (I think with a QR code or similar) and it says you're OK to go in. I'm not sure if they're storing that information (though it would be so handy for contact tracing). But people will get their knickers in a twist if they think they're being tracked, so they may not do that.

As an aside, there are a lot of countries that already have something similar in place, not necessarily with the vaccination record piece, to facilitate contact tracing. The big benefit? If there's an outbreak they don't have to lock down an entire city, county or state. They just contact the folks who may have been exposed and ask them to quarantine. Like you might do if there was, say, a big pandemic at the time.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I see they're protesting in the streets in France and Italy against similar measures.

My first thought was I wouldn't want to be around that many people now.

Shrug

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Chicago mayor recommending everyone over 2 years old mask up indoors...

https://wgntv.com/news/coronav...m3CFg_nTEanofkxsU7Z4

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7556 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rontuner:
Chicago daily positives got down around 35 in June.
Then it jumped to 50, then 70, then 90...

Today it is at 130.

And that's just the folks that have tested!

These are 7-day rolling averages.
Today Chicago is at 252...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7556 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Common cholesterol drugs may significantly reduce risk of death from COVID-19: study

https://pix11.com/news/coronav...from-covid-19-study/

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
A large share of unvaccinated Americans say the COVID-19 vaccine poses a greater risk to their health than the virus itself, according to a poll released Tuesday

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...oll-finds/ar-AAMmYGr

From the KFF:

quote:
Unvaccinated adults, especially those who say they will “definitely not” get a vaccine, are much less worried about the coronavirus, the Delta variant, and have less confidence in the safety and effectiveness of the vaccines compared to those who are vaccinated. Three-fourths of unvaccinated adults, including nine in ten of those who say they will “definitely not” get the vaccine, say they are “not worried” about getting seriously sick from the virus, less than half say they are worried about the Delta variant worsening the pandemic, more than half (including 75% of “definitely not”) say getting vaccinated is a bigger risk to their health than getting infected with coronavirus, and a quarter (just one in ten of “definitely not”) say the vaccines are effective at keeping vaccinated people from dying from COVID-19 or getting seriously ill.

https://www.kff.org/coronaviru...e-monitor-july-2021/

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
The US is approaching 620,000 dead.

These people give stupidity a bad name.

Wow.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
No kidding.

This doctor's op ed is pretty powerful.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry...source=pocket-newtab

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson (R) says he regrets signing a ban on mask mandates in schools as he asks the state legislature to reverse the decision.

“Well, I signed it at the time because our cases were at a very low point. I knew it'd be overridden by the legislature if I didn’t sign it ... I already eliminated our statewide mask mandate,” Hutchinson said in a press conference on Tuesday.

“I signed it for those reasons that our cases were at a low point. Everything has changed now. And yes, in hindsight I wish that had not become law,” he added.

The governor last week began calling for the state legislature to overturn the part of the law that says schools can’t decide if they want a mask mandate.

He says he still supports a statewide ban on a mask mandate because adults have the option of becoming vaccinated but children do not.

https://thehill.com/homenews/s...ban-on-mask-mandates

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Some parents are gonna go nuts.

quote:
Gov. J.B. Pritzker on Wednesday announced that all students and teachers in schools will be required to wear masks while indoors, as state officials take steps to try to slow the spread of the delta variant of COVID-19.

Pritzker says that the new requirement will take effect immediately, and will also apply to all students and coaches participating in indoor sports and other activities.

"As your governor, it's my duty to say that we must all take immediate and urgent action to slow the spread of the delta variant," he said. "People are dying who don't have to die."

Pritzker says that the state has a "limited amount of time" to slow the spread of the delta variant.

State employees who work in congregant care facilities, veterans' homes and correctional facilities will also be required to receive COVID-19 vaccinations, according to the governor.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/new...sources-say/2579649/

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
And what about the Lamda variant?

I thought I was worried out with Delta, but this one has got me going.

LAMDA - started last Winter in Peru - and now represents the strain of 80% new cases there (And spreading across South America).

Worse, there are signs it may be resistant to vaccines yet it's at least as transmissible as DELTA.

There seem to be still more mutations coming, besides - which we knew and anticipated. Until now, though, they seemed to be responsive to the vaccines.

I can't bear to consider that we may be in for a repeat of the early COVID stages of world infection - meaning, needing a new vaccine and more lockdowns. The side effects on society are so appalling too - that - is economically, on kids' education and on (qualifying) workers' virtual output.

Maybe the issue of pro and anti-vaxxers will have acquired a new issue in that it will seem people need not only the original vaccine but a new one (booster?) too.

https://www.newsweek.com/lambd...e-resistance-1615668

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
There's a dispute about whether it should be called a "variant of concern" or a "variant of interest".

(Just associating to the routine mammogram after which the tech told me she had found an "area of interest". In medicine. one does NOT want to be "interesting".)

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post