well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    COVID odds and ends
Page 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

COVID odds and ends
 Login/Join

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
The head of Moderna says you can get infected with Delta and Omicron at the same time.

Can’t find a credible free article backing this up.

--------------------------------
pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30030 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
There was a story out of England (I think), I think I showed it to Mary Anna last night, saying that Omicron and Delta are co-existing, Omicron is not replacing Delta. It had a J.P. Morgan chart attached. It was on Twitter, if you want to look for it.

There's also this VERY long Twitter thread about natural vs. vaccinated immunity. It says, if you have immunity as a result of an infection, one mRNA shot might be enough.

https://twitter.com/NAChristak.../1473344300419358726

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
The head of Moderna says you can get infected with Delta and Omicron at the same time.

Can’t find a credible free article backing this up.

Paul Burton spoke to the UK Parliament's Science and Technology Committee last week.

Daily Mail isn't the ritz, but I've seen the same quote in several publications, so I'm guessing he actually said it:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/ne...b05c5c0f&ai=10309153

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Read somewhere that the flu can also be caught with Covid for what I call a Covid cocktail. Think it was in the long page from CNN that covers dealing with Covid.
Eeker

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AdagioM:
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
quote:
An experimental pill to treat Covid developed by the US company Pfizer cuts the risk of hospitalisation or death by 89% in vulnerable adults, clinical trial results suggest.

The drug - Paxlovid - is intended for use soon after symptoms develop in people at high risk of severe disease.

It comes a day after the UK medicines regulator approved a similar treatment from Merck Sharp and Dohme (MSD).

Pfizer says it stopped trials early as the initial results were so positive.

The UK has already ordered 250,000 courses of the new Pfizer treatment along with another 480,000 courses of MSD's molnupiravir pill.

The Pfizer drug, known as a protease inhibitor, is designed to block an enzyme the virus needs in order to multiply. When taken alongside a low dose of another antiviral pill called ritonavir, it stays in the body for longer.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-59178291

That’s good news!

Approved by the FDA (EUA- emergency use).

quote:
The Food and Drug Administration on Wednesday authorized the first Covid-19 antiviral pill in the United States to protect against severe disease.

The oral drug, called Paxlovid, from Pfizer will be prescribed for use in adults and children ages 12 and up with mild to moderate Covid who are at risk for severe disease or hospitalization, the FDA said in a statement.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health...ergency-use-rcna8760

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
That is very good news!! Here are some other details that caught my eye:

1. supplies will be limited initially
2. from the article: "The treatment needs to be taken early to be effective — within five days of first symptoms"

Still, very very good news!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18330 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Bet this will bolster the stock market and with a bit less volatility.

Perhaps this really will be the beginning of the end.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
And on the other hand, it's a darn good thing if this does work as advertised considering these monoclonal antibodies do NOT seem to be fulfilling their promise... Frowner

These two are falling far short of expectations in combatting COVID

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
https://messaging-custom-newsl...0b3c017336f37653953c

Covid for seniors

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
The US Food and Drug Administration on Thursday authorized Merck's antiviral pill, molnupiravir, to treat Covid-19 "for the treatment of mild-to-moderate coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in adults with positive results of direct SARS-CoV-2 viral testing, and who are at high risk for progression to severe COVID-19, including hospitalization or death, and for whom alternative COVID-19 treatment options authorized by the FDA are not accessible or clinically appropriate."

This is the second Covid-19 antiviral pill authorized for ill people to take at home, before they get sick enough to be hospitalized. Merck has an agreement with the US government for the company to supply 3.1 million courses of molnupiravir upon this authorization.

Molnupiravir was narrowly recommended by the FDA's advisers in a 13-10 vote at the end of November after data showed it cut the risk of hospitalization or death by 30% among high-risk adults. This was lower than an earlier analysis suggesting that number could be about 50%.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/22...uthorized/index.html

Bazootiehead-in-training

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Time to up the mask game.

https://publichealthinsider.co...ame-omicron-is-here/

Treat the cloth mask as decorative and be really particular about the fit of any mask you use.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7546 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Every article I see about N95s or KN95s says "Beware of counterfeits" but my mask-of-choice is not NIOSH or otherwise approved (by any US organization).

If it fits well/tightly and has the layers it says, is it a problem to keep using these non-approved masks? (When I first ordered them, I cut one up to see how it was made).

Besides the fact that I still have a bunch left, I don't want to wear a white or black mask to teach in. That might sound silly, but ... well it is what it is....

Anyway, all these articles say avoid the counterfeits but they don't really say why.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18330 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Looks like the Korean ones are more regulated and will have KN95 or KN94 printed on them...?

The fake ones drop down into the 80% range of filtration of the smaller particles.

The N95 NIOSH ones are approved for healthcare settings - I read that as covid-active areas.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7546 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Lab results don’t always translate in human trials but This sounds promising.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34852 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Interesting. Will have to keep an eye out for what further research shows.

I've taken diphenhydramine (Benadryl) once in my life. I was out like a light in like 20 minutes.... Sleep

Bazootiehead-in-training