well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    COVID odds and ends
Page 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 23

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

COVID odds and ends
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I'm interested in that as well.

I think there are some studies looking at mix-and-match scenarios but I haven't seen any results yet. I'll post anything I find.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37880 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Something I came across this morning was a quote from Fauci urging folks not to mix and match. The data still isn't there...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7554 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rontuner:
Something I came across this morning was a quote from Fauci urging folks not to mix and match. The data still isn't there...

Yup.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/...er/story?id=79941607

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37880 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Tennessee thinks that only unvaccinated people should get monoclonal antibody treatment.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...residents/ar-AAOG0Xz

So if you did everything right, got vaccinated, wear a mask, wash your hands a lot, stay six feet from everyone else, and still get COVID and end up in the hospital, they won’t give you the one treatment that may save your life.

Great.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
Tennessee thinks that only unvaccinated people should get monoclonal antibody treatment.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...residents/ar-AAOG0Xz

So if you did everything right, got vaccinated, wear a mask, wash your hands a lot, stay six feet from everyone else, and still get COVID and end up in the hospital, they won’t give you the one treatment that may save your life.

Great.

Crossing Vanderbilt right off of LL#2's college list and adding TN to the list of places I'll never move to. I wonder if these states realize how many college students are ruling out their universities due to the general level of dumbassity in the population. I was watching a Reddit thread about why more people don't consider Rice U in Texas and like 90% of the kids responding answered "because Texas." It will be interesting to see if it leaves a long lasting impact on the workforce years down the line....I can't imagine it won't.

Posts: 4402 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
The Tennessee guidance:

quote:
Our recommendation to monoclonal antibody providers or individual facilities across the state is if they need to prioritize distribution of the treatment, the NIH (National Institutes of Health) guidelines are the recommended approach for that prioritization, including prioritizing those who are most likely to be hospitalized. Ultimately, this comes down to providers' clinical judgment to ensure those most at risk are receiving this treatment.

What the federal guidelines are:

quote:
NIH guidelines on monoclonal antibody treatment, issued September 3, recommended monoclonal antibodies "for the treatment of mild to moderate COVID-19 and for post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) of SARS-CoV-2 infection in individuals who are at high risk for progression to severe COVID-19."

At the moment, there is no shortage of monoclonal antibody treatment—in Tennessee, or nationally, according to the NIH website—although the agency does warn that "logistical constraints (e.g., limited space, not enough staff who can administer therapy) can make it difficult to administer these agents to all eligible patients."

Should it become necessary "to triage eligible patients," the agency suggests prioritizing people who already have the disease, "unvaccinated or incompletely vaccinated individuals who are at high risk of progressing to severe COVID-19," and "vaccinated individuals who are not expected to mount an adequate immune response (e.g., immunocompromised individuals)."

NIH also notes that "providers should use their clinical judgment when prioritizing treatment" and stresses that "when there are no logistical constraints for administering therapy, these considerations should not limit the provision of anti-SARS-CoV-2 monoclonal antibodies." (Emphasis theirs.)

https://reason.com/2021/09/22/...or-the-unvaccinated/

So I guess it may be the case that the unvaccinated are more likely to qualify, but it doesn't seem that the guidelines are exclusionary for others....

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Moderna vs Pfizer.

https://www.yahoo.com/now/mode...kouts-182810753.html

Bazootiehead-in-training

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
The community health clinic where we got out shots only had Moderna. I did what Fauci said: get whatever one is available to you.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
They’ll slip it into your salad dressing!
https://www.huffpost.com/entry...be21e4b03d83baceb1fa

Of course, if you want people in the red states to get it, they’ll need to put it in BBQ sauce.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Early this month, Grady Memorial Hospital in Atlanta delayed elective surgeries and procedures. The reason: There were so many Covid-19 patients in the hospital's intensive care unit that there was just no room for anyone who isn't seriously ill.

“We have had to postpone some nonessential surgical procedures because we did not have an inpatient bed for them after they had their surgery,” said Dr. Robert Jansen, the Grady Health System chief medical officer.

While the state of Georgia — and the United States as a whole — have been dealing with another surge of Covid cases since August, data from the Department of Health and Human Services shows that Grady’s ICU has been full for much longer. Every week, for the past 12 months, it has been 100 percent full. Before the pandemic, Jansen estimated it was full 70 percent of the time.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health...stayed-high-n1280318

Bazootiehead-in-training

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Now HERE is an interesting (possible) COVID consequence ... Restless Anal Syndrome

Yeah, you read that correctly ...

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
The jokes write themselves and they’re all in bad taste. Eeker

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34927 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Years ago I worked part-time transcribing business meetings. One of them was from a pharmaceutical company that had developed a drug and was looking for an application for it. They hit upon “restless leg syndrome,” a condition that didn’t really exist. You could hear the execs grasping for case studies that would support its use. Today they’ve convinced us it’s a real condition.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
The United States reached another grim milestone on Friday, as the confirmed coronavirus death toll topped 700,000, just over a year and a half into the pandemic, and despite the wide availability of vaccines.

The milestone, according to data from Johns Hopkins University, comes less than two weeks after the national death toll surpassed the estimated number of fatalities in the U.S. during the 1918 influenza pandemic.

Despite national COVID-19 metrics showing encouraging signs of decline, approximately 1,500 Americans are dying from the virus every day, according to federal data.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/...00/story?id=80303622

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Top Covid experts privately urge Biden admin to scale back booster campaign

Several of these outside experts objected to the administration’s approach during a private, off-the-record call last week with federal health officials.

https://www.politico.com/news/...erts-boosters-515175

Bazootiehead-in-training