well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    COVID odds and ends
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 23

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

COVID odds and ends
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
A long-term perspective on immunity to COVID

Determining the duration of protective immunity to infection by SARS-CoV-2 is crucial for understanding and predicting the course of the COVID-19 pandemic. Clinical studies now indicate that immunity will be long-lasting.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-01557-z

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37743 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Marcel Kuttab first sensed something was awry while brushing her teeth a year ago, several months after recovering from COVID-19.

Her toothbrush tasted dirty, so she threw it out and got a new one. Then she realized the toothpaste was at fault. Onions and garlic and meat tasted putrid, and coffee smelled like gasoline — all symptoms of the once little-known condition called parosmia that distorts the senses of smell and taste.

Kuttab, 28, who has a pharmacy doctoral degree and works for a drug company in Massachusetts, experimented to figure out what foods she could tolerate. “You can spend a lot of money in grocery stores and land up not using any of it,” she said.

The pandemic has put a spotlight on parosmia, spurring research and a host of articles in medical journals.

https://news.yahoo.com/distort...haunt-114656299.html

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37743 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Manatee County leaders have asked state health officials to investigate whether a more contagious and virulent strain of the coronavirus caused the deaths of two county workers and left three others in the hospital.

The two workers died of COVID-19 within a four day period last week. All five infected employees worked in the county’s information technology department on the seventh floor of the Manatee County Administration Building in downtown Bradenton.

None of the workers who tested positive were vaccinated, said County Administrator Scott Hopes. He said Monday that a sixth county employee has been diagnosed with the coronavirus as well as three workers at Port Manatee.

The holder of a master’s degree in epidemiology, Hopes said the spread of the disease and the death of two of the five initial cases suggests a COVID-19 variant. He has asked the Florida Department of Health to confirm that.

“As an epidemiologist, I don’t believe what we saw is the same SARS-CoV-2 virus we were dealing with a year ago,” he said. “It appears to be very contagious and has a high mortality rate, at least from what we’ve seen.”

https://www.tampabay.com/news/...ind-deadly-outbreak/

Bazootiehead-in-training

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
My son plays beach volleyball in the summer - two vs. two. The guy on his team just tested positive after traveling to a convention in Vegas... He is fully vaccinated. He developed a nasty cough and didn't feel well which led him to get tested.

My son tested negative after the match last week...

So yeah, we can still catch it after being fully vaxxed.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7543 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
They're starting to talk about when people might need boosters.

https://gizmodo.com/covid-19-v...me-people-1847176053

Bazootiehead-in-training

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
WHO recommends still masking, social distancing and hand washing...

https://wgntv.com/news/who-urg...lta-variant-spreads/

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7543 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Our city is having a candlelight vigil tomorrow night in honor of all our city citizens how have lost their lives to COVID.

I am going in honor of my neighbor.

Here in Mass, we still have many businesses who require masks..I always bring one with me just in case.

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Ron, thanks for posting that.

We continue to wear masks in stores, and we still have not eaten in a restaurant yet. We don't plan on changing either of these...

About two weeks ago, I was supposed to attend an event for alums of the program I direct. I found out it was indoors (in a bar) and maybe like one or two days before the event, I contacted my chair and the previous program director to tell them I wouldn't be attending. It was very awkward and I definitely felt guilty.

Then I saw photos of the event, tons of people standing close together, no masks, noisy bar environment.

I was glad I didn't go.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18306 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
The 3 Simple Rules That Underscore the Danger of Delta

Vaccines are still beating the variants, but the unvaccinated world is being pummeled.

https://www.theatlantic.com/he...source=pocket-newtab

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Meanwhile, the papers are full of reports that the Delta variant is very dangerous - for the anti vaxers.

Film at 11.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34825 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
quote:
Manatee County leaders have asked state health officials to investigate whether a more contagious and virulent strain of the coronavirus caused the deaths of two county workers and left three others in the hospital.

The two workers died of COVID-19 within a four day period last week. All five infected employees worked in the county’s information technology department on the seventh floor of the Manatee County Administration Building in downtown Bradenton.

None of the workers who tested positive were vaccinated, said County Administrator Scott Hopes. He said Monday that a sixth county employee has been diagnosed with the coronavirus as well as three workers at Port Manatee.

The holder of a master’s degree in epidemiology, Hopes said the spread of the disease and the death of two of the five initial cases suggests a COVID-19 variant. He has asked the Florida Department of Health to confirm that.

“As an epidemiologist, I don’t believe what we saw is the same SARS-CoV-2 virus we were dealing with a year ago,” he said. “It appears to be very contagious and has a high mortality rate, at least from what we’ve seen.”

https://www.tampabay.com/news/...ind-deadly-outbreak/

This is an example of how the pandemic is not waining and is certainly not over.

This has become a pet peeve of mine. I think this pov is wrong and dangerous. It is especially annoying to me when US government agencies and officials lead the public to think otherwise.

Some of these agencies and officials, in the previous administration, and in the current one, seem more interested in opening the economy, or in keeping it open, than in public health.

I find it galling.

My $.02

Posts: 24636 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Replying to Daniel: Your example from Tampa illustrates not that the country shouldn’t be opening up, but that we need to get more people vaccinated. It’s the vaccine refuseniks who are giving the virus the opportunity to spread and mutate, especially in the South. The vaxed can’t remain shut down waiting for the holdouts to get vaxed, because they never will.

Unfortunately, that means we’ll all have to deal with emerging variants and boosters for some time. Welcome to America.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13775 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
After months of data collection, scientists agree: The delta variant is the most contagious version of the coronavirus worldwide. It spreads about 225% faster than the original version of the virus, and it's currently dominating the outbreak in the United States.

A new study, published online Wednesday, sheds light on why. It finds that the variant grows more rapidly inside people's respiratory tracts and to much higher levels, researchers at the Guangdong Provincial Center for Disease Control and Prevention reported.

On average, people infected with the delta variant had about 1,000 times more copies of the virus in their respiratory tracts than those infected with the original strain of the coronavirus, the study reported.

In addition, after someone catches the delta variant, the person likely becomes infectious sooner. On average, it took about four days for the delta variant to reach detectable levels inside a person, compared with six days for the original coronavirus variant.

https://www.npr.org/sections/g...ew-study-sheds-light

Illinois' infection rates, hospitalizations, and deaths are all way down, but after reading more about the delta variant, I'm so glad I've been masking up and plan to continue to do so moving forward.

I've been surprised at how many shoppers continue to wear masks even though all stores have dropped the requirement. Many store employees continue to wear masks. Can't say as I blame them.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Grand Junction, Colorado is in Mesa County and was cited along with part of New Jersey as an epicenter of the Delta variant.
People that refuse the vaccine also refuse to get tested. We will never know how bad it is.
One person has been found to have the Delta variant in my home county. No doubt there are more.
I have begun to wear a mask more. Will skip the Midori concert tonight, but may go to a rodeo tomorrow.
The rodeo is sure to be outdoors.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25667 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
More than 1 million people in France made vaccine appointments in less than a day, according to figures released Tuesday, after the president cranked up pressure on everyone to get vaccinated to save the summer vacation season and the French economy.

Some bristled at President Emmanuel Macron’s admonition to “get vaccinated!” immediately, but many people signed up for shots, accepting that getting injected was the only way to return to some semblance of pre-pandemic life.

French government spokesman Gabriel Attal, noting the latest virus surges from South Africa to South Korea, and vaccine shortages in many poorer countries, appealed to his compatriots Tuesday to “look at what’s happening in the world.”

Macron also announced that special COVID-19 passes will be required starting in early August to enter restaurants and shopping malls and to get on trains and planes. The announcement raised questions and worries among foreign tourists and as residents of France planning vacations.

An app that centralizes France’s vaccine appointments, Doctolib, said Tuesday that 1.3 million people signed up for injections after Macron gave a televised address Monday night. It was a daily record since France rolled out coronavirus vaccines in December. People under age 35 made up most of the new appointments, Doctolib said.

Macron said vaccination would be obligatory for all health care workers by Sept. 15, and he held out the possibility of extending the requirement to others. Around 41% of the French population has been fully vaccinated, though the pace of shots being delivered has waned as summer vacations approached.

Government spokesman Attal insisted the vaccine mandate wasn’t meant to “stigmatize” reluctant health workers but to limit risks to the vulnerable populations they care for.

https://apnews.com/article/eur...17521892d49d83b773ad

Bazootiehead-in-training