well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    1440 and the Guardian - Unbiased?

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1440 and the Guardian - Unbiased?
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted
I've been reading hopefully about this supposedly Centrist, unbiased site. Sorely needed, if so.
Opinions?

Also made a contribution to the Guardian after I read a fund-raising spiel, where among much else they discussed it's not being owned/directed by a money-making corporation. preserving its independence.

First, https://join1440.com/?utm_sour...7b-93f5-af66b6a1e19e

Both sounded hopeful. I get so wrapped up in catastrophising (often repetitive) news and media, including the NYT.

So sorry to say the latter is just NOT what it used to be.

https://join1440.com/?utm_sour...7b-93f5-af66b6a1e19e

--------------------------------
The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
The Guardian is left-leaning but I think their reporting is reasonably fact-based. I donate to them occasionally, too.

I had never heard of 1440. They seem to get good marks for being unbiased and factual.

https://www.thecoolist.com/1440-news/

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/1440-newsletter/

I just decided to let my WaPo subscription lapse for the reason you mentioned - they just ain't what they used to be. Thanks for bringing 1440 to my attention. Looks promising.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I just joined 1440 based on this post (gave them my "junk" email just in case....)

I've continued my practice of a monthly donation to ProPublica, which I began the day Trump was elected. That's another option, though they have a different focus. ProPublica is investigative journalism, and your $$ helps pay for the cost of doing lengthy investigations. It's not a daily digest of unbiased news.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Don't know about the Guardian's being "left-leaning", but I really like their not being profit-making.

Interestingly, I see they were about to go under until last year (serious losses), until now when for the first time they made a profit and apparently from readership's voluntary contributions (you and me!)

The NYT have been increasingly coming across as aiming at a clickbait presentation. I guess they just got too worried about not being able to pay for the same quality journalism. Even their proofreading has gotten increasingly spotty.

They've really lost a lot from advertising revenue.

I find myself getting too engrossed in the WAPO's multiple advice columns (where did this come from?) while it looks like the NYT's seems to be staying afloat by their puzzles. I also find them repeating redundant human interest themes (over and over articles about supposed breakthroughs in ALZHEIMERS,
weight loss, life extension, cancer, character studies of celebrities and mass murderers.)

Kind of absorbed People Magazine. And another publication whose name (like so many) escapes me which radically changed their headline style ("Bullying and premature menarche. Why?")
Much more than excusable about the Kardashians.

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Hope 1440 works out for us!