well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Today's Musical Interlude - Brahms 118/2 for Piano and Clarinet

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Today's Musical Interlude - Brahms 118/2 for Piano and Clarinet
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted
Maybe Bootsy/Grotriman will tee this up at a future piano party.

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
I hope that's photoshopped. Otherwise, poor piano!

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21339 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
That is my favorite piece. Don’t think it’s photoshopped, but bet the sound track was recorded in a studio. (Bet the piano in the video is a pso, that is for looks only.)

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20447 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
There is something about the clarinetist’s tone that I don’t like, not in the high register, those notes are lovely, but in the lower, his notes go from in tune to slightly sharp back to in tune, I find it annoying.

Smiler Jodi

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
yeah, i'm not a fan of this clarinet tone, either. as the daughter of a clarinetist, i tend to be picky about that. there's something grainy about this guy's tone that is unpleasant. i bet it will sound a lot better when grotriman plays it.

Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
It's a music video and the CD from which this piece is taken is obviously studio recorded. I like that they've made such a beautiful video for it; I love everything about this. Having taken my cello outside to practice on occasion I can say there's nothing like it (except when the mosquitoes are out and humidity is high), and can just imagine the joy of playing on the water. I think it is very sensitive and beautiful playing. I love the clarinet, as one reviewer said, "very velvety". Indeed. This recording (and accompanying video) really brings out the sensitivity and gorgeousness of op 118, no 2. I'm a little surprised to like it so much because I usually don't like a lot of transcriptions. This one is nice.

The clarinetist, btw, is principal clarinetist of the Berlin Philharmonic.

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10569 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Probably my word “tone” was the wrong word - as his tone up high is gorgeous - it’s I think it’s the amount of air he pushes out in the lower register that bothers me (I used to play the clarinet) some of the held notes get kind of fat and too full and above pitch in the middle, then it comes back to pitch - maybe it’s a a technique - you hear it in jazz clarinet sometimes - I just don’t like it here, in this piece. (Hope I’m making sense)

Smiler Jodi

Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
Here's some Weber from the same CD...

It's hard to ignore her outfit, that wisp of material that's almost a dress and those heels! She gets lots of comments on it, but I love it; it's her. I wonder if it's easier or harder to play in stilletos?

Bootsy/Grotriman, I'd love to hear you two do this one... you'll have to decide which one of you gets to wear the skimpy skirt. Wink

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10569 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
The clarinetist, btw, is principal clarinetist of the Berlin Philharmonic.

Doesn't change my opinion a whit. Didn't care for von Karajan, either.