well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    More Joy

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

More Joy
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
The joy of a minimalist wardrobe:

Uniform dressing

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34931 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Have repeatedly planned to do that with socks.
A drawer for matching summer socks and a drawer for matching winter socks.
Never got it done.
As for that guy- To each his own.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25703 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I sort of did that with socks. Only broke it recently.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I remember Kenny saying that every so often he would dump his underwear drawer in to the trash and go to Pennys to buy 10 pairs of white skivvies, 10 white tee shirts and 10 pairs of socks.

He would then come home and play the piano, pleased that he would not have to do that again for a while. Cool

Posts: 34931 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
For tuning, I have black long or short sleeve button shirts and then jeans. Makes getting dressed mindless...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7554 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
That only works if your uniform is made up of things that are mostly white, gray, and black.

If I had a uniform, it would be things that were purple and magenta and deep red... people tend to notice if you’re wearing those colors over and over again.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18440 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
In had one job where the company provided uniforms. They also laundered them which was good because I got absolutely filthy on that job. Blanket on the truck seat and change in the garage filthy. The uniform company always got them clean - God knows how.

It was certainly convenient not having to think about what to wear every day. Even my boots (steel toe) were part of the deal.

And my name was embroidered over the shirt pocket. ThumbsUp

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
I go to work in black polarfleece sweats and zip necks every day. And extra heavy socks. It's been so long since I dressed for a job, those few jackets I still have have shoulder pads in them. But even then I wore a black pencil skirt, a white top, and a blue or red linen jacket, and black flats with sheer black hose. Bought everything at Ann Taylor.

Luckily newsrooms are not hotbeds of style and nobody cared if it was a uniform.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21347 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
That only works if your uniform is made up of things that are mostly white, gray, and black.

If I had a uniform, it would be things that were purple and magenta and deep red... people tend to notice if you’re wearing those colors over and over again.

The trick is to wear black, gray, white as your uniform, and use purple/magenta/deep red as your accent colors! I wear a lot of black, and then add a knitted contrast piece as accent. You can do it!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Techno-Stud
Minor Deity
Picture of Matt G.
posted Hide Post
No. Just no. Just absolutely no.

I would derive exactly zero joy from "not having to think about what to wear," because thinking about what to wear sparks joy in me. It is one of the few visibly creative outlets I have.

[Insert Signature Here]

Posts: 15343 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
I don't care enough about the details of the attire I wear to bother with "uniform clothing" or to deliberately avoid "uniform clothing."

Sometimes I stumble into "uniform clothing" because I found something abundantly available in deep discounts that I buy in bulk, or because I manage to keep the same clothes clean for a long time that I just keep wearing the same clothes so it appears to others like "uniform clothing." Big Grin

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12689 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I think what's notable about the article is that the guy is so young. Other than artists, (all black!) I don't think most guys adopt a standard uniform until they are much older.

Like me. Like my Dad, too, who adopted the leisure suit early, and liked the fact they didn't wrinkle and came in a lot of colors. He wore them long after they went out of fashion and he didn't care. He also refused to wear anything with a logo.

I've found a golf shirt on Amazon that I have settled on and now order in bulk. I don't have to order often as they are nearly indestructible, but if I spill paint or rip a couple I'll get more. The brand is "PGA Tour". They don't have an obnoxious logo, you couldn't wrinkle one if you tried, they come in a lot of colors/patterns, sizing runs true and they cost about $20. Around here a golf shirt and Levis will get you in to all but the swankiest of places and it works for me. The different colors and patterns make them not look so "uniform, but I suppose they are. I've tossed my other golf shirts that wrinkle, sag, don't fit right, etc. as they do not spark joy and in fact spark dread if I have to iron one.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I'm a born minimalist. What can I say.

Posts: 24717 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post