well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Stephen Colbert Mother’s Day Cards

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stephen Colbert Mother’s Day Cards
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted
I first watched Stephen Colbert when he was Jon Stewart’s sidekick on the Daily Show on Comedy Central. Back then he was playing a satirical faux conservative persona, which I found very funny. Even then, he would burst into songs every now and then and I noticed that he could sing a lot better than most celebrities who are not professional musicians. He also did a few great segments on campaign finance issues, including registering himself as a Presidential candidate, that I thought was a great public service.

Then he shed the old persona and started doing his own “Late Show” at CBS. At the start of the show, he probably had the most impressive line up of guests for any talk show that I can remember. But somehow I found Colbert’s own performance lacking at the beginning. And truth be told I didn’t watch much of Colbert anymore. It seems to have taken him a while to find his new footing. Still, I noticed that Colbert gives his musician Jon Batiste prominent billing, more so than any other talk shows I’ve seen. That makes me suspect that perhaps Colbert harbors fantasies of being a professional musician.

Overall, I think Colbert can sometimes go over the top and takes himself too seriously, but all in all a talented good person. Today, I came across this segment Colbert did with his wife on Mother’s Day cards that just warms my heart. The couple’s dynamics are just wonderful in that segment. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/EhLTGHg82kI

--------------------------------
www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12692 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed that skit. I usually don't stay up for a late show because I'm either asleep or turning the TV off at 11:30 PM. That habit became ingrained to allow getting up at 6 AM for work for many years.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7411 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I was so impressed early on when he had Yo Yo Ma, playing Bach, and that fabulous young Black ballet dancer. And a pared-down orchestra playing Copland. And Batiste is such a fluid player! I wish Steve would give his solo playing more time.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
If I am up that late, I watch SC...I am not a Jimmy Kimmel fan. I watch long enough to see Jon Baptiste...

And heck..He just won an Oscar! Well deserved! Yes

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Very nice! Mrs. Colbert is quite charming.

And that piano has a great sound!

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post