well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Bolton's book moving forward
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bolton's book moving forward
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
John Bolton is forging ahead with plans to publish a memoir about his time in President Donald Trump's White House and is in negotiations with network television channels to promote the book, according to people familiar with the talks.

Bolton, who served as national security adviser from April 2018 to September 2019, plans to publish "The Room Where It Happened: A White House Memoir" on June 23, after embarking on a media tour to promote the book the weekend before, according to people with knowledge of the negotiations who spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe private conversations.

The White House has not formally signed off on the book, and officials in the Trump administration have delayed it for months due to a classification review process led by the National Security Council.

The president has said Bolton should not publish the book until after the election and has called him a "traitor" in private for writing a negative tell-all book, The Washington Post has previously reported.

Bolton is planning to publish even if the White House does not give publication approval, people familiar with his thinking say, and believes he has removed all classified material.

quote:
The New York Times reported this year that the book would substantiate claims that Trump withheld military aid to pressure Ukraine's leader to launch a political investigation. People familiar with the book say Bolton will describe Ukrainian interactions in detail.

https://www.stripes.com/news/u...white-house-1.632841

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Sneak preview.

https://www.axios.com/john-bol...35-1ee2c4fddad4.html

quote:
Former national security adviser John Bolton’s forthcoming book will include descriptions of President Trump’s “inconsistent, scattershot decision-making” driven by “reelection calculations” rather than national security, according to a news release from the book’s publisher.

‘‘I am hard-pressed to identify any significant Trump decision during my tenure that wasn’t driven by reelection calculations,’’ Bolton writes, according the description Simon & Schuster distributed Friday morning.

“What Bolton saw astonished him: a president for whom getting reelected was the only thing that mattered, even if it meant endangering or weakening the nation,” the news release said.

The longtime conservative foreign policy hand also argues in the book that House Democrats “committed impeachment malpractice” by focusing their inquiry on Ukraine, according to the publisher.

“Trump’s Ukraine-like transgressions existed across the full range of his foreign policy — and Bolton documents exactly what those were, and attempts by him and others in the Administration to raise alarms about them,” the Simon & Schuster news release states.

https://www.washingtonpost.com...c43b26bf9_story.html

I'm on the hold list for the e-book from my library....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just a week before the much-awaited book by President Donald Trump’s former National Security Advisor John Bolton is set to go on sale, the Trump administration is expected to file a lawsuit in federal court seeking an injunction to block the book from being released in its current form, sources familiar with the matter told ABC News.

The lawsuit is expected to be filed in the coming days and could come as soon as today, sources said, cautioning that some details are still being worked out.

quote:
In a Wall Street Journal op-ed last week, Cooper wrote that on June 8 White House lawyer John Eisenberg “asserted in a letter that Mr. Bolton’s manuscript contains classified information and that publishing the book would violate his nondisclosure agreements.”

“This last-minute allegation came after an intensive four-month review, after weeks of silence from the White House, and -- as Mr. Eisenberg admits in his letter -- after press reports alerted the White House that Mr. Bolton’s book would be published on June 23,” Cooper wrote.

"This is a transparent attempt to use national security as a pretext to censor Mr. Bolton, in violation of his constitutional right to speak on matters of the utmost public import," he wrote. "This attempt will not succeed, and Mr. Bolton’s book will be published June 23.”

https://abcnews.go.com/Politic...ok/story?id=71256834

Bazootiehead-in-training

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Where was all his righteous indignation when he was in a position to influence things? Oh yeah, waiting until he had a book deal... $$

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Yeah... a bit of hypocrisy there for calling out I-1 putting personal interest above national interest.

Interesting that the title of the book is a song from Hamilton.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30030 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Trump administration filed a lawsuit Tuesday against former national security adviser John Bolton, hoping to delay publication of his tell-all book, due to be released next week.

"The United States is not seeking to censor any legitimate aspect" of the book manuscript, the Justice Department lawsuit said. It claims instead that Bolton has not finished with the review process required of any author who had a government security clearance.

The lawsuit asked a federal judge for an order directing Bolton to urge his publisher to delay publication until that process is done. And it further asked the judge to require Bolton to put any profit he makes from the book into a trust for the benefit of the government.

Legal experts predicted that the lawsuit would be unable to stop publication.

"The law in this area is clear. Except in very rare circumstances, the courts cannot stop a publisher from publishing materials in advance," said Mark Rasch, a former federal prosecutor.

"That would be a prior restraint. While the government might be able to prosecute Bolton after the fact if he released truly classified materials, every time the government has tried to prevent someone from publishing what they believe to be classified, they have lost," says Rasch, now with Kohrman, Jackson, and Krantz, a Cleveland based law firm.

https://news.google.com/articl...S&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Finally. ? .

And then the niece's in Aug.

Who will be next?

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I'm shocked! I-1 is thinking about suing? Wink

quote:
Trump is reportedly looking into suing his niece to stop her from publishing a tell-all book about him ,,,,

The president has told people close to him that he's having his lawyers look into what they can do to legally threaten his niece over the book, two people familiar with the matter told The Daily Beast.

The outlet said this would "likely" be "in the form of a cease and desist letter."

One of the sources said that the president mentioned at one point that Mary had signed a non-disclosure agreement years ago.

Sources familiar with the matter told the Daily Beast that Mary signed an NDA in 2001, when she and her brother, Fred Trump III, came to a settlement with her uncle and two of his siblings over Fred Trump Sr.'s estate.

The NDA reportedly barred her from publishing anything regarding the litigation and her relationship with Donald Trump, Robert Trump, or Maryanne Trump Barry — who acted as executors of their father's estate.

https://www.businessinsider.co...ok-nda-report-2020-6

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
I wonder if Bolton's revelations will make a dent in the "undecideds" much less his faithful flock.

(Not feeling optimistic. "Shooting on Fifth Avenue" going unpunished, etc.)

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I doubt that anything in the two books will change minds.

But all of the stuff coming out keeps I-1 off-base and on Twitter defending himself. He just doesn't know how to stop and will hopefully continue to make a fool of himself.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I thought some court ruled that Stormy's NDA was moot given that I-1 was now an elected official or something like that.

I don't care enough to guugle it.

But at some point, bringing the truth to the surface is worth whatever violating an NDA gets you.

Certainly, anyone in such a position could take a lesson from I-1 and probably drag such a case on for decades.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30030 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Trump Asked Xi to Help Him Win in 2020.

Our conservative friends will tut tut, "nothing to see here. Move along. They all do it."

Bolten, however, was shocked.

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
Trump Asked Xi to Help Him Win in 2020.

Our conservative friends will tut tut, "nothing to see here. Move along. They all do it."

Xi is insufficiently scary.
Anything about Trump asking Kim Jung-Un to help with his reelection?
Maybe Kim Jung-Un is sufficiently scary. Shrug

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12682 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post

Again, our Republican friends will yawn. But if a Democrat had waived her hand at this behavior, all hell would have broken loose among GOP senators.

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
So WaPo has a copy. How do they figure in the DOJ lawsuit, if at all?

Bazootiehead-in-training