well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Best $$ Wasting tips
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best $$ Wasting tips
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
What? No one mentions the classic hookers and blows? What’s wrong with this group?

Try giving money to charities or organizations that work for causes you believe in. You will derive no material benefit from it for yourself, so it’s a waste to you. But many people have found that doing so is very worthwhile, so much so that they do not consider charitable giving a waste. Shrug

Oh, try donating one dollar online to a political campaign, remember to give them your email address when you donate. That will in turn get tons of money wasting ideas sent multiple times every day to your inbox.

--------------------------------
www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12679 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Axtremus:
What? No one mentions the classic hookers and blows? .

This thread was about wasting money, not about basic human needs.

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
It's not on the scale of horse ownership, boat ownership, or trying to sell property with a fabulous barn, but we've found that you can spend a whole lot of money by simply owning a house where bees decide they want to build a hive.

There was the man who told us he'd come get them for a four-figure fee, but tore up various pieces of wood and sheetrock as he failed in the attempt.

There was the man who did manage to extract the bees and their hive, while doing minimal but not no damage to the house. He also charged a four-figure fee.

And then there was the man we hired to come patch the torn-up wood and sheetrock. And again, there was a four-figure fee.

We are now beeless but poorer.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15505 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Holy cow, mary Anna!

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20409 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Anna:
It's not on the scale of horse ownership, boat ownership, or trying to sell property with a fabulous barn, but we've found that you can spend a whole lot of money by simply owning a house where bees decide they want to build a hive.

There was the man who told us he'd come get them for a four-figure fee, but tore up various pieces of wood and sheetrock as he failed in the attempt.

There was the man who did manage to extract the bees and their hive, while doing minimal but not no damage to the house. He also charged a four-figure fee.

And then there was the man we hired to come patch the torn-up wood and sheetrock. And again, there was a four-figure fee.

We are now beeless but poorer.

A few decades ago, I had a neighbor with that problem. He called multiple people - no one was coming out. Finally, a guy came out - looked at the problem and then said, "You don't want that expense. It's just too costly."

"How much?" My neighbor noted that the guy was trying to think of a number so high that no sane person would agree to it.

"$5,000," was the reply

"Do it," was my neighbor's reply. Guy didn't show. It was too horrible a job.

Posts: 9596 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
People told me to put extra money into CDs - and so I did. I have about 15,000 of them so I've been pretty prudent. I'd recommend that to you. Of course, you should make sure you have a nice high end audio system to play them on. Makes that investment seem more attractive.

You could put all of that on a boat for added value.

Posts: 9596 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
I just bought a pound of lobster meat from Wild Fork Foods.

If you haven't used them they have a lot of really high quality stuff at reasonable prices. In Chicago or Miami you can just go to their stores. I pay $10 for delivery which is fine as I do fairly large orders.

Wild Fork Foods is opening a store in Mount Prospect soon, about a mile from my house.

I never did order online from them but will definitely stop by the store when it opens.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37749 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kluurs:
People told me to put extra money into CDs - and so I did. I have about 15,000 of them so I've been pretty prudent. I'd recommend that to you. Of course, you should make sure you have a nice high end audio system to play them on. Makes that investment seem more attractive.

You could put all of that on a boat for added value.

15,000 CDs might take up a lot of space. At what size does a boat become a yacht? Or maybe it's a superyacht. I'm sure those cost less to maintain, because they are so well built.

Posts: 45723 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
No one has mentioned laying in a supply of freeze dried food for the End Of Life As We Know It?

Don't forget to buy a healthy number of Bibles for when the liberal elites come around begging for food and water. Chuck the Word Of The Lord at the heathens to keep them off your lawn.

Posts: 19756 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
The instructions were...

1. Splurge
2. Totally worth it.

A little inn in the country ...

Posts: 12495 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
The instructions were...

1. Splurge
2. Totally worth it.

A little inn in the country ...

That looks fabulous! I wonder if they give senior discounts/accept coupons?

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Well, they do have some package deals ... Big Grin

Posts: 12495 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
A boat? You think a boat is the most efficient way to waste money? A boat is the minor leagues. If you want to blow through a LOT of money REAL fast, buy an aeroplane.

One of my former cellmates had a reproduction P-51 Mustang that, all told (fuel, maintenance, insurance, hangar, etc.) cost over $500 an hour to fly.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30029 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug:
That looks fabulous! I wonder if they give senior discounts/accept coupons?

I looked them up. No AAA or AARP discount either. Frowner

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34827 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
Most of the suggestions thus far will negatively affect your net worth, but they don't necessarily portend disaster. If you recognize what is happening and cut your losses (take the boat and sink it in the river), then you may stop pouring money down a drain.

There are things that will drain your bank account at a significant rate. Then there are others that will take bites out of it in noticeable chunks (hookers and blow if you're not a major sports star or a hedge fund millionaire).

What I want to know is what will render you immediately insolvent if you choose to indulge? Divorcing a woman with a good divorce lawyer? Rendering yourself unemployable by subscribing to some left-wing hypothesis concerning who is really in control of the American economy? Other paths to financial disaster?

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7373 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post