well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    International noodle cuisine

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

International noodle cuisine
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
I love noodles in any form. I grew up eating the many versions common in Italian cuisine: marinara, meat sauce, carbonara, etc. Also Jewish noodle kugel.

Recently I've had a chance to sample Filipino pancit and what's become a new favorite, Korean jap chae.

A new Filipina friend is a wonderful cook. She makes a version of jap chae that's very similar to this recipe. Hers includes some ground beef and also a bit of chili pepper (not sure what kind), just enough to make it interesting but not hot (not that I have anything against really spicy food; some dishes just do better with a subtle touch).

https://www.yummly.com/recipe/...lass-Noodles-1455943

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37683 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I love Pancit!

It's the only reason I still go to the Catholic Church carnival up the street in October. They always have a booth that serves Pancit and it's the only place I can find it around here.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34810 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Tita Helen was cooking today. I had pancit for lunch.

Yummy

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37683 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
WTG, your Korean recipe sounds great! (I am a noodle hound too.)

There's a Filipino store near here with a wide assortment of glass noodles, and it's easy to find the other ingredients too.

Probably olive oil is not the best oil for this (high heat wok cooking). I'd use some other neutral oil that handles heat well.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13771 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
If you make pancit, be sure to buy bihon noodles. Tita Helen uses these:

Another Filipino friend, Lito, was trained as a chef in the Philippines. He uses these; I think they're more flavorful in the pancit than the ones Helen uses:

There are a zillion types and brands of noodles. I found this out when Lito sent me out to buy noodles for pancit. I came back with four different kinds, none of which were the correct one. We got online and he pointed me to the Super Q Golden Bihon, and also told me Helen uses the other brand.

I don't know which noodles Helen uses for the jap chae. They are quite a bit thicker than the bihon noodles used for pancit. I'll try to find out next time I see her or Lito.

Here's another japchae recipe: https://kimchimari.com/japchae/

Looks like the glass noodles for jap chae are called Dangmyeon noodles, and they are made from sweet potatoes!

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
My new favorite noodle thing is Pho. We've had the restaurants around here forever but I only recently tried it. The broth is unreal and now I'm hooked.

Here's a recipe:

Pho- Vietnamese beef noodle soup

Here's a vegetarian version for Joe:

Pho with mushrooms

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34810 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Korean noodles (japchae) in the Instant Pot. Hot diggity!!! Can't wait to try making them.

Recipe:

https://www.epicurious.com/rec.../instant-pot-japchae

Background discussion:

https://www.epicurious.com/exp...d1f18cb542b4_cral2-2

Bazootiehead-in-training

Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
We have made japchae a few times and it’s delicious. We don’t love the sweet potato noodles. The texture isn’t appealing for us, so we just do a substitute and use rice noodles.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4080 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Singapore Noodles.

quote:
Tangles of rice vermicelli, a fragrant dusting of curry powder, and a medley of Asian vegetables and proteins form the base of this Cantonese—not Singaporean—classic.

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/singapore-noodles

Bazootiehead-in-training

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
We've been hooked on good Pho for years.... the broth - yum!

We have a Chinese noodle place across the street that pulls noodles in house. Great texture!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7540 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post