well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    2-player board games

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2-player board games
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
We've played a few board games at the wtg home, but we're pretty boring and have stuck with the classics like Scrabble, Yahtzee, and Perquackey. Though now that I think of it, the last two aren't board games.

Besides Scrabble, I hadn't heard of any of these:

https://getpocket.com/explore/...source=pocket-newtab

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37929 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
We like Scrabble.

I am also an occasional backgammon fiend.

Mrs. pj is fond of a game called UpWords. It's like Scrabble, but the tiles stack so you can keep changing words that are already on the board.

She also likes a card game called Quiddler that is a word game. It's fun and less involved than Scrabble or UpWords.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
Does anyone also have a favorite two-person card game?

I used to enjoy a game of gin rummy every once in awhile. I can't think about it without then thinking about the scene in The Apartment where Shirley MacLaine tells Jack Lemmon, "Shut up and deal."

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7411 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
Like Backgammon.

Jf

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17679 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
I have a bit of a board game obsession. I have played and enjoyed everything on that list. I would argue that Ticket to Ride doesn’t shine at 2 players (though the shorter Ticket to Ride:London is great with two!). I would add Kingdomino to that list. And there’s lots of games intended for more that are still awesome with 2 (Wingspan is one of our current faves).

There are so many amazing hobby board games out there. No matter what theme you’re into there’s likely a game for you.

Big Al - how about Cribbage? It’s by far my favourite traditional card game!

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4092 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
I've never played Cribbage. Maybe I need to try it. I suppose I'll need a Cribbage board.

The game was very popular in northern Minnesota when I worked there. Most bars had a Cribbage board or two under bar for patrons who wanted to play.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7411 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I always kept a couple decks of cards in the camping stuff, and out at the trailer. We never actually used them. So I guess I'm not the card game sort.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
One of my favorites is Hand and Foot--it is a holiday tradition to play at least a few rounds. It's possible to play it with two people, but I confess I've never done it that way.

But pro tip: One full deck per person up to 4 people, after that 4 decks total, otherwise you'll be swimming in cards. Requires a tabletop to play.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by big al:
I've never played Cribbage. Maybe I need to try it. I suppose I'll need a Cribbage board.

The game was very popular in northern Minnesota when I worked there. Most bars had a Cribbage board or two under bar for patrons who wanted to play.

Big Al

Just in case you want a little history on cribbage: https://www.cbc.ca/life/cultur...s-cribbage-1.4733258

It’s seriously a great card game. It also plays best at 2 or 3, which is a big plus since most card games need 4. My husband didn’t grow up playing it so while he will play with me every now and then he’s not as confident as I am so doesn’t enjoy it as much!

Posts: 4092 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
Twixt.

Jf

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17679 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dolmansaxlil:
I have a bit of a board game obsession. I have played and enjoyed everything on that list. I would argue that Ticket to Ride doesn’t shine at 2 players (though the shorter Ticket to Ride:London is great with two!). I would add Kingdomino to that list. And there’s lots of games intended for more that are still awesome with 2 (Wingspan is one of our current faves).

There are so many amazing hobby board games out there. No matter what theme you’re into there’s likely a game for you.

For two, I like Century: Spice Road and Terraforming Mars.

Unfortunately, one daughter loves Catan (not my favorite) and Viticulture, and Mary Anna's son and younger daughter love Root (which I do not enjoy very much).

Posts: 45742 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
quote:
Originally posted by dolmansaxlil:

For two, I like Century: Spice Road and Terraforming Mars.

Unfortunately, one daughter loves Catan (not my favorite) and Viticulture, and Mary Anna's son and younger daughter love Root (which I do not enjoy very much).

I hate Catan. I actually don’t love Viticulture, either. We tried it a few times but don’t see the appeal. I haven’t tried Terraforming Mars yet, but it’s on my list.