well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    What's for lunch?

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's for lunch?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
When I was a kid my parents and I used to go to their friends' house for occasional Sunday suppers. The hostess's mother was an excellent cook, and she used to make an eastern European style cabbage pie. She used a yeast dough on the bottom and the top of the dish, with shredded cabbage and onions in between.

I found a recipe years ago and tried it but it didn't come out well; I never bothered to figure out what went wrong but have thought longingly about having cabbage pie again some day.

Fast forward....I had a cabbage in the frig from an earlier CSA box that I needed to prepare (because there's another one coming this Friday). I poked around the internet and found a bunch of recipes for cabbage pie. These are different from the one I remember from childhood but looked like they had potential.

Instead of a yeast dough with cabbage squares and onions as filling, the recipes call for shredding the cabbage and mixing it with some herbs (dill, chives, green onions), piling it into a pie plate, and covering it with a batter made of eggs, sour cream, mayonnaise, a bit of flour, and some baking soda. Shredded cheese on top of the batter.

It's not the same as my childhood dish, but totally wonderful in its own way.

Ta-da!

Recipe: https://www.yummly.com/recipe/...e-2467765#directions

I made a few adjustments...I sauteed some sweet onion and mixed it in with the cabbage. Didn't have any green onion so I just upped the dill a little. And I left out the corn starch because I didn't have any. And I did a blend of shredded mozzarella and emmentaler for the topping.

I thought the 35 minute baking time was not going to be long enough but it was fine. The cabbage was cooked but still had a bit of tooth. If you'd like it softer, I think that either salting the cabbage an hour before you prepare it, or maybe sauteing it briefly before putting it in the pie plate might do the trick. But it was fine as is.

A quarter of the pie made a nice lunch; a smaller portion would be good as a veggie side for a dinner meal.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Ooh! I have all those ingredients.

Dinner tonight!

Thanks, wtg!

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
If you're avoiding the carbs, I think you can probably skip the flour in the batter. Might be a bit eggier, more like a frittata, but I think it would still work.

But it was excellent with the flour, too! It's just a quarter cup....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Good to know!

I might try substituting some almond flour for the flour.

Mary Anna Evans
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I just made the cabbage pie and it was awesome!

The only thing I changed was using chives instead of green onions, which I think made little or no difference.

I kept the crust the same. I went off the keto diet last week when I had some minor oral surgery. (It's very hard to stay low carb when you're limited to liquids and mush.) I'm back to chewy foods now, so I'll start keto again in a couple of days. In the meantime, I made the recipe with no changes to the crust, so that I'd have a basis for comparison when I started messing around with the flour.

Honestly, the crust seemed to me to be mainly a vehicle for the cheese, I'm not sure it would be noticeable if I substituted almond flour for some or all of the wheat flour. Next time the CSA brings me a cabbage, the experiments will commence!

Mary Anna Evans
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com