well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Just for Pique
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just for Pique
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
How’s it going?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34880 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Hi Steve
Thanks for asking. It's been a bit of a roller coaster ride as the pain management was not what it should have been, and my cognitive function is still spotty, but much better now that I'm on more effective pain killers.

I am walking very well with a walker, and my ROM is good. I have almost no swelling. Tomorrow the staples come out of the wound and Mr Pique will hopefully be able to return to work and not have to babysit me 24 hrs a day. The pain crises--there were several--were very hard on him. He's a natural caregiver but we have months to go before I'm fully independent again.

Since you've just gone through a spousal hip replacement recovery (and how is the Mrs doing?) any suggestions for me on how to show my appreciation to Mr Pique?

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21310 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
The cognitive function issue is a semi-common side effect of going under general anaesthesia. It correlates with how long you were under, and, um, age.

We're all doomed.

Posts: 35371 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
piqué I am glad to hear you’re improving, but so sorry that it’s been so hard, esp the pain crises. I hope those are past you!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18383 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
I have so little cognitive function now. One can only marvel at what post anesthesia fog will do for me when my time comes. Too bad circuses have eliminated their side shows.

Posts: 9597 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Actually I did not have general anesthesia. I had a spinal. I've had general many times and the brain fog goes on for months. Compared to that experience, my head is crystal clear. The cognitive dysfunction I've had is due to being on opioids. As soon as I got off the dilaudid, I could think again. I'll never undergo general again unless it's a matter of life and death.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I'd say Mrs. Miller is 95% recovered and getting better every day. She's been having some back issues that may or may not be related.

Posts: 34880 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Glad you are on the upslope. Have not heard a story of such poor pain management.Hope that is not common.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25695 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
All this talk about general anesthesia worries me. I'm unable to have spinals because my vertebrae have long been too compressed to allow even the finest bore needle entry.

Very glad your pain crises are over, pique. Knee surgery is unfun! You were lucky and wise to obtain that cooling apparatus to help with the healing and pain!

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda:
All this talk about general anesthesia worries me. I'm unable to have spinals because my vertebrae have long been too compressed to allow even the finest bore needle entry.

Very glad your pain crises are over, pique. Knee surgery is unfun! You were lucky and wise to obtain that cooling apparatus to help with the healing and pain!

General anesthesia isn't any less safe than a spinal, so far as I know. I just find not being able to think clearly is, for me, a horrible experience. Not to mention it absolutely prevents me from working. If fuzzy brain is no more than an annoyance to you, then I wouldn't worry about getting general anesthesia.

Got my staples out today. The incision is over 6" long! The surgeon is pleased with my ROM, my lack of swelling (ice machine, hurrah!), my mobility, and the appearance of the wound. He says I'm right where I should be.

I am wiped out from the long car trip to Missoula and back. It is scary sometimes how little I can do. I read this week that the extreme exhaustion is due to the body commandeering all availble resources for healing, and there isn'ti much of anything left over. Even though I am walking and the knee is strong, taking a shower or making a cup of tea can precipitate an energy collapse.

If you are looking ahead to a knee or hip replacement, you should read the articles and forums at Bonesmart.org. they have a lot of info. It's PianoWorld for orthopedic patients.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Why did you go to Missoula and back?

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
It is fascinating to realize how unique is our response to surgery, anesthesia, PT...

MrsTuner and our youngest are redheads - so what? They tend to have a 'different' response to anesthesia... MrsTuner needs very little, while our youngest has woken up during two different surgeries!

My body has taken very well to surgeries, one Dr said I have a 'super healer' response - sounds great, but can cause a number of problems such as the healing going into overdrive and calcifying inside muscles...

It makes it so hard to predict how an individual will respond based on the experience of others!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7548 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:

That's where I had the surgery. Everyone I know goes to this surgeon, including other surgeons and physicians from all over the state. If your surgeon screws up your knee replacement, he sends you to my surgeon. Also St Pat's in Missoula is rated #1 in the state for avoiding infection.

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
so hard to predict how an individual will respond based on the experience of others!

So true! No two people--or knees--are alike. When I was pleading for morphine post-op the doc said what he gave me is "better" than morphine. Better for who?

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:

That's where I had the surgery. Everyone I know goes to this surgeon, including other surgeons and physicians from all over the state. If your surgeon screws up your knee replacement, he sends you to my surgeon. Also St Pat's in Missoula is rated #1 in the state for avoiding infection.

Makes sense.

We’re you able to lie down for the trip home?