well-temperedforum.groupee.net
We haven't had much election discussion here...

This topic can be found at:
https://well-temperedforum.groupee.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9130004433/m/5323907797

26 October 2022, 11:29 AM
piqué
We haven't had much election discussion here...
Here's a thoughtful op ed from the LA Times about what we can know about the outcome of the upcoming election. I find the point about how the polls can't be accurate because they haven't taken into account the election restrictions that republican jurisdictions have enacted, the most frightening thing about the election. You?

https://www.latimes.com/opinio...ack&utm_medium=email

--------------------------------
fear is the thief of dreams

26 October 2022, 01:52 PM
RealPlayer
Yes, and polls were often wildly wrong even before the electoral shenanigans.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

26 October 2022, 05:08 PM
rontuner
I'm just flummoxed by how people can seriously doubt election victories from the other party, but accept all of their own party wins during the same election... sigh

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

26 October 2022, 05:51 PM
Daniel
Wake me up when it's over.
26 October 2022, 07:23 PM
RealPlayer
quote:
Originally posted by rontuner:
I'm just flummoxed by how people can seriously doubt election victories from the other party, but accept all of their own party wins during the same election... sigh

Yes, even on THE SAME BALLOT!

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

26 October 2022, 09:05 PM
Dan
Election is pretty straight forward if you ask my opinion (and yeah I know you didn't ask)

Democrats are irresponsible and ineffective.

Republicans are cynical and evil.

Neither can be trusted. Neither can govern. Neither deserves our support. That being said, I'll vote against evil.
27 October 2022, 01:01 PM
Daniel
"Democrats scramble to avert shock Senate loss in Washington state - POLITICO" https://www.politico.com/news/...rray-senate-00063447

It wouldn't be a shock to me.
27 October 2022, 01:56 PM
piqué
quote:
Originally posted by rontuner:

They don't doubt them; they lie about them.

fear is the thief of dreams

27 October 2022, 02:21 PM
Steve Miller
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
"Democrats scramble to avert shock Senate loss in Washington state - POLITICO" https://www.politico.com/news/...rray-senate-00063447

It wouldn't be a shock to me.

That piece is based on the results of *one* poll, and the Dem is still ahead by 8 points.

Not exactly great journalism.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

27 October 2022, 02:40 PM
Daniel
It's Politico. What do you expect?

It still wouldn't surprise me.

Speaking of elections, we should have paper ballots, IMO.

The chicanery involving computers is already infamous.
27 October 2022, 03:51 PM
big al
We have paper ballots that are machine-read but can be hand-counted if necessary. That hasn't deterred election deniers from questioning them.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

27 October 2022, 05:01 PM
Daniel
Well, yes. There were, of course, paper ballots the year the election for president was stolen in Florida (i.e. the State of Florida was stolen).

But, I recall the Supreme Court of the United States (in contravention of the Supreme Court of Florida) ordered a stop to vote counting, and decided the result of the election on a partisan basis.

I wonder how many people today have no memory of these events. Those of us who witnessed them will never forget what happened.
28 October 2022, 02:20 PM
wtg
quote:
Two people armed with handguns and wearing tactical military gear, balaclavas masking their faces and the license plates on their cars covered, stood watch over a ballot drop box during early voting last week in Mesa, Arizona.

This scene, reported by the Maricopa County Elections Department on Friday, is one that some elections officials and law enforcement fear might spread as believers in Donald Trump’s false claims that a second term as president was stolen from him through voter fraud amp up activity ahead of the Nov. 8 election.

Other election deniers are filming voters dropping off ballots, photographing their license plates and confronting them in parking lots outside early voting locations in Arizona and Michigan, according to Marcia Johnson-Blanco, who is overseeing election protection efforts for the Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law.

At least three groups that make baseless claims of widespread voter fraud are encouraging untrained volunteers to engage in the effort. One effort, funded by Michael Flynn, Donald Trump’s first national security adviser and a former Army general in Iraq 20 years ago, is specifically recruiting military veterans and police officers to monitor voting.

For now, the agitators’ efforts are sporadic, and elections officials stress that most voters are unlikely to be affected in the hopes of tamping down any public fears about voting in person.

I hope they're right but I fear they're not.

https://www.seattletimes.com/n...tical-military-gear/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training