well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Man v. squirrels

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Man v. squirrels
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...&feature=emb_rel_end

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I really like this guys videos. He has one on how to build the ultimate pinewood derby car that I have put into the files to make sure that I have it available if one of the grandsons end up having to build such a car.

I will say that the car I helped Greg build many years ago took first place in our local Pinewood Derby tournament.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34852 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
When I watched the squirrel video the first time, I stopped when he was done talking about the squirrel project and I missed his plug for his kit company.

It looks kinda cool.

https://www.kiwico.com/mlp/mar...NFL&utm_term=YouTube

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Squirrel Maze 2.0 - The Walnut Heist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTvS9lvRxZ8

Bazootiehead-in-training

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
The "squirrel-proof" cone over the "squirrel-proof" feeder only slowed them down for a day.

Nothing is squirrel-proof. Only squirrel-resistant.

My next plan was a 2 foot-by-2 foot sheet of aluminum over the feeder. But after watching this video, I'm guessing that they'll just jump from a tree branch onto the feeder.

Little furry bandits!

We also tried putting out a tray of peanuts so they would go for the easy chow instead of the bird feeder. Nope. They grabbed all the peanuts and buried them -- digging up the onions, bok choy, and other things I'd planted in the process.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30030 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I had a raccoon baffle like this one on a post located in the middle of my yard, well away from the fence. It's 28" long. The lowest branch on the tree above was probably 15' up.

I had four feeders on separate hooks on the 4x4 post, and during the 7 or 8 years I had the feeders up not one squirrel got access.

A friend did a DIY version using a stovepipe and an end cap.

Bazootiehead-in-training