well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The Scourge of White Appliances
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Scourge of White Appliances
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
That’s nice, PD.

Posts: 30211 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican Party identification has begun requiring intellectual vacuity.

-- Jennifer Rubin (she's a conservative for those who don't read much)
Beatification Candidate
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
One more thing I'll throw out there is something Jodi taught me. Most people start with paint colors and then go find textiles/art/etc. to go with it. That is a lot harder to do than to start with a piece of art, a textile, a rug, etc. you like the colors in and then find paint to match/complement.

Yes

Painting a room is cheap. Usually much less than the wall art you want to go with it. And you want to gear the room around the art you like, not the other way around.

Posts: 7678 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Mrs. Blanding chooses her paint colors

(YouTube, watch to the end)

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 26511 | Location: Yorba Linda, CA | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
quote:
One more thing I'll throw out there is something Jodi taught me. Most people start with paint colors and then go find textiles/art/etc. to go with it. That is a lot harder to do than to start with a piece of art, a textile, a rug, etc. you like the colors in and then find paint to match/complement.

Yes

Painting a room is cheap. Usually much less than the wall art you want to go with it. And you want to gear the room around the art you like, not the other way around.

I hadn't really thought about it like that, this is very helpful!!!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 11601 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
P*D, Did not expect to like it, but I like it very much. It is super. Sounded stark in your description.

SK, Come decorate my place.

Slogan for ANYONE running against 45 in 2 years (Republicans included): “Hindsight 2020”

Posts: 20311 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:

You should probably wait to see how successful I am at doing ours first! suave

Posts: 11601 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Mrs. Blanding chooses her paint colors

(YouTube, watch to the end)

Big Grin

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 9947 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
One designer trick is to start with a color like this that you like but find too dark for a whole room. Have your paint store mix a quart and another quart in what's called a 25% letdown - original color mixed 75%/25% with white. Do a third with a 50% letdown. Maybe a 75% letdown for the ceilings. They will all harmonize beautifully - they are all the same color.

Yes! I learned this trick on our first remodel, and have used it since. Another nice tip: make sure your ceiling is painted in a lighter shade than the rest of your room. It will really help open up the space.

P*D, I think your kitchen looks awesome. I love the plant ledge as well.

Posts: 31661 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Beatification Candidate
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
P*D, Did not expect to like it, but I like it very much. It is super. Sounded stark in your description.

I like the combination of the white/grey palette (trim, walls, floor tile) with the warmer colored cabinets, and the backsplash pulls it together.

My wife really liked the black granite because it had a lot of sparkle.

Posts: 7678 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I like the combination of the white/grey palette (trim, walls, floor tile) with the warmer colored cabinets, and the backsplash pulls it together.

This! Apparently gray is the super in color right now, but I really dislike it in most of the iterations I've seen it. The photo Cindy posted is nice because it's such a bold color and the white bathtub really pops. And P*D's kitchen has such nice warm colors that the grays don't make it look cold or uninviting, or flat (those are all things I think of when I see the grays that are in right now).

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
This is a perfect example of the grays I really don't like.

BTW P*D, I showed your kitchen to Mr. SK and he loves it too!

Beatification Candidate
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
That pic is the perfect storm of things that would annoy me. Very dark battleship grey painted wood, for starters. Topped off with subway tile that makes me think "institutional bathroom." I think a whitish granite like that looks much better with white cabinetry. Then the backsplash adds the pop (as long as it's not .... white).

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:

White can be too stark, and darker beiges and tans can be too dark. I like warm colors, creams, colors that you might actually think are white ... like if you visited somewhere and then later, after you left, someone asked you what color the walls are. You'd swear they were white or off-white, but they were actually pale yellows, creams, golds ... These give warmth without forcing you into certain interior decorating schemes.

Like this (I literally just googled "pale yellow interior") ...
Try looking up a color called "Antique White" and see if you like it.

Nice kitchen, Piano*Dad!
Your dishwasher looks like mind.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings

Posts: 10766 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
I used antique white in one of my apartments. It is definitely on the red side of the spectrum.

Navajo white is also nice, on the other side of the spectrum (tilts towards green, imo). I had that in one of my apartments as well.

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 9947 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
This is a perfect example of the grays I really don't like.

BTW P*D, I showed your kitchen to Mr. SK and he loves it too!

Hmmm. I like gray, but I don't like that kitchen much.

I think my problem is that I am partial to wooden cabinets in general. And I also like color. A backsplash is the eyes of the kitchen, so white subway tile doesn't excite me.

My kitchen (which is 20 years old), has natural maple cabinets, a speckled grey and blue granite countertop, hardwood floors, and a steely blue solid backsplash. Even after all this time, I think it doesn't look terribly out of date.

But with all that going on, my decorator friend recommended a white that has some pink in it. Most people see it as white, but the pink picks up the undertone in the maple.

Did you know natural maple has pink undertones? No? That's why you're not a designer! Smiler

Posts: 18168 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post