well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The Scourge of White Appliances
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Scourge of White Appliances
 Login/Join

Republican Party identification has begun requiring intellectual vacuity.

-- Jennifer Rubin (she's a conservative for those who don't read much)
Beatification Candidate
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe we’re extra neat? Or I’m extra oblivious?

The latter, probably. Big Grin

Posts: 7678 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally Maybe we’re extra neat? Or I’m extra oblivious?

Ya think? Yes, you are extra neat!

--------------------------------
The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 15181 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
I have black. It shows dust, kitty hairs which stick to fridge and stove.

It show wiping streaks.

And especially when the sun shines in (south side of house)

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 15181 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I like the layout of your kitchen. Looking forward to seeing it when you are done remodeling. ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 26510 | Location: Yorba Linda, CA | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
We built the house in 1992, and for resale purposes a 26 year old kitchen needed an upgrade. We decided that we should get to enjoy it for a few years so we made choices that pleased us instead of just going neutral to maximize resale value. A real estate agent friend, for instance, said that for resale value keeping the floor the same as the rest of the first floor is optimal. We disregarded that advice because we simply preferred tile.

I was told the same in my old house (about keeping the entire first floor material the same).

Posts: 41799 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Beatification Candidate
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but I'm not fully convinced. I can easily imagine potential buyers who are put off by our tastes, and you guys will get to judge that soon... Big Grin

On the other hand, many buyers may be energized by a tastefully done, but slightly "personalized" house. And others may be put off by the boring sameness of the white on white on off-white and a little bit of grey uniformity of the agent's dream floor plan.

Posts: 7678 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
others may be put off by the boring sameness of the white on white on off-white and a little bit of grey uniformity of the agent's dream floor plan.

Hi

First of all, I dislike the grey which is apparently popular right now. That is not a good color to do the whole house in IMO. It could be improved with careful decorating, but I think it is not going to look good long term and will end up making the space look cold and dingy.

White can be too stark, and darker beiges and tans can be too dark. I like warm colors, creams, colors that you might actually think are white ... like if you visited somewhere and then later, after you left, someone asked you what color the walls are. You'd swear they were white or off-white, but they were actually pale yellows, creams, golds ... These give warmth without forcing you into certain interior decorating schemes.

Like this (I literally just googled "pale yellow interior")

or this one

This is too dark IMO... but something lighter in this same vein??

Maybe this:

Oh dear, I don't know how we're ever going to pick paint colors....

What color goes best with a small grand piano?

Sorry for the thread drift Cindy!!!

(Also, edited to fix photo sizes!)

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 11598 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
No problem! I love talking about paint colors.

I grew up in Arizona, where interior paint comes in either white, off-white, and eggshell.

Now I am on the East Coast, and in my area bold paint colors have been the rage for years. In fact, the rooms I like the least in my home are the ones with less saturated colors.

My bedroom, hallway, and foyer is a deep bisque:

Two of my bathrooms and LS's bedroom are deep gray:

Posts: 18168 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Cindy, those are very pretty colors!!

I just don't think I want such dark/bold colors for the living room (where the piano will go), the 2nd living room, which will sort of open up into the kitchen area, which flows into the dining room.... I feel like it will make the rooms feel smaller, and also, it would limit our decorating options.

Our plan is not to spend money on furniture in the short run, but eventually we'll want to add a nicer sofa and so on...

Posts: 11598 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
BTW that bisque color looks really great with white trim!!

Beatification Candidate
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Night time shot of the new kitchen:

and the breakfast nook beside the kitchen. We like the new plant ledge done in the backsplash tile.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
That looks terrific!

I especially like the plant ledge. ThumbsUp

Posts: 26510 | Location: Yorba Linda, CA | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post

One designer trick is to start with a color like this that you like but find too dark for a whole room. Have your paint store mix a quart and another quart in what's called a 25% letdown - original color mixed 75%/25% with white. Do a third with a 50% letdown. Maybe a 75% letdown for the ceilings. They will all harmonize beautifully - they are all the same color.

Grab those quarts and put large sample brushouts on the walls. Watch how they change with the time of day, natural light/artificial light and adjust until you like the effect. Try different let downs for different walls in the same room.

You could do the same with the yellow color you posted or with the rich gold Cindy posted.

I like a house where there are one or two themes that carry throughout the house. In this house the ceilings are all the same off white, as are the baseboards, doors and cabinets. The public rooms in the house are the beige let-downs and the bedrooms, office and baths are are grayed out blues and greens of the same intensity as the 50% beige letdown.

We settled on this scheme some 20 years ago and I have never gotten tired of it.

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
P*D that's swoon-worthy!!! It looks fantastic!!!!

Steve, hmm, on the one hand that sounds quite simple, on the other, I wonder if we'd lose some of the warmth through that process??

Speaking of paint store, we were sort of assuming we'd buy from the paint section at Lowe's or Home Depot, there might be a paint store a town over though. Do you have any opinions about where to buy the paint?

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I think paint is mostly the same these days, the exceptions being really low cost paint ("maintenance paint") and really expensive paints (Benjamin Moore, which I think is madly overpriced.) HD, Lowes and Sherwin Williams all seem to work fine. (Note to Nina - Sherwin Williams bought Dunn Edwards)

The exception is HD "Marquis" which I find impossible to work with.

quote:
Steve, hmm, on the one hand that sounds quite simple, on the other, I wonder if we'd lose some of the warmth through that process??

Warmth is affected mostly by the amount of red in the darkest color. The caveat is that if you get too much red in it the let downs are going to start to go pink.

One more thing I'll throw out there is something Jodi taught me. Most people start with paint colors and then go find textiles/art/etc. to go with it. That is a lot harder to do than to start with a piece of art, a textile, a rug, etc. you like the colors in and then find paint to match/complement. Paint comes in 1000s of colors and it's easy to match to other things. Not only that, but nowadays they have computers to match it for you. Cool

One of the coolest houses I ever say was designed around one rug - a family heirloom. The rug had a bunch of colors in it and the designer used those colors all over the house.