well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The Scourge of White Appliances
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Scourge of White Appliances
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
I cannot appreciate a thread about all the white ones dying out.

The stainless will rule us all.

Posts: 26511 | Location: Yorba Linda, CA | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I think well-maintained and clean is more important than color (unless we're talking harvest gold or something like that Big Grin ). It seems to me that everything falls into and out of favor on some sort of schedule that escapes me.

I've been told that my kitchen is hopelessly outdated because it has cherry wood and a bit of granite, with slate backsplash. The thing now is white cabinets and white subway tile.

I can't keep up. I'd say go with what you like.

Posts: 31661 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Subway tile is on the way out. It never did look all that good and it’s about time.

Lord knows what will take its place.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 26511 | Location: Yorba Linda, CA | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
I like stainless and it's what we have now. Sure, there's some issues with fingerprints and water spotting, but I've mostly trained the kids to not touch the fridge surface, just the handle, so fingerprints are minimal now compared to the toddler years. (Key tip that I learned from GeorgeK on the other board....the regular yellow pledge that comes in a spray can is hands-down the absolute best thing I have ever used to clean stainless, and I've owned probably 2 dozen special stainless polishes and such over the years. Pledge! Who knew!)

Anyhow, at our last house, we had an almond fridge, a stainless stove, and a black dishwasher. I think stainless and black or stainless and white go together fine - stainless, to me, is pretty neutral. I wouldn't mix 2 colors like white and almond, but I think you can start adding stainlesss appliances to your white ones (assuming you like them and are sick of white) without it looking bad. At the old house, we inherited the circa late-1980s almond fridge from the previous owners and I was planning to switch to stainless as soon as it died. That thing was still going when we sold the house 4 years later, and for all I know, it's still going now...that thing was a tank. A very ugly tank.

But anyhow, switch to stainless if you like it or just keep white. I don't think either one is going out of style any time soon, and I don't think it will look bad to mix them as you transition. If you think you are going to want stainless for a full remodel in a few years, I'd just start getting them now so you don't have to toss newish functional white ones. Good luck!

Posts: 3830 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican Party identification has begun requiring intellectual vacuity.

-- Jennifer Rubin (she's a conservative for those who don't read much)
Beatification Candidate
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Subway tile is on the way out. It never did look all that good and it’s about time.

Subway tile has always reminded me of middle school bathrooms...

Posts: 7678 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Beatification Candidate
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Do I dare post pictures of my kitchen redo which is in the final stages?

Big Grin

Posts: 7678 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Subway tile has always reminded me of middle school bathrooms...

Glad I'm not the only one! I think sometimes it looks pretty good, and there are lots of tile "trends" that I see (mostly online) that look great, but in general, a lot of seems kind of hyped. The subway tiles remind me of various things called "distressed" or "rustic" that are supposed to look ... I don't know, lived in and nostalgic? But often just like old and dirty!

quote:
Do I dare post pictures of my kitchen redo which is in the final stages?

Yes please!!!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 11601 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
BTW I think Lisa's right, stainless + white should be fine. If you have some white, some black, some almond, some stainless then it might seem a little messy.

Posts: 11601 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Beatification Candidate
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes please!!!

Well, here are two "before" pictures. Geez, how do I shrink these photos?

Pickled wood cabinets, worn down oak floor with big gaps between many planks, laminate tops. Should have "after" photos over the next couple of days. It'll look very different.

and ...

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
What a nice, big kitchen!! I like the light colored wood.

What all are you changing?

Beatification Candidate
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Floors will be tiled. Black granite countertops with glass tile backsplash. New sink/faucet. Cabinets painted (pretty much the same light color). Walls pewter instead of peach. Ripped out the useless desk (not shown) and will replace it with more granite top to match the rest of the kitchen and a built-in wine refrigerator. Oh, and the brass pulls will be replaced with polished nickel of the same shape and size.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of well-tempered gardener
posted Hide Post
Wine refrigerator > Desk

Big Grin

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 22719 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
P*D, oooooh! I can't wait to see the pics, that sounds wonderful!!

Beatification Candidate
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
We built the house in 1992, and for resale purposes a 26 year old kitchen needed an upgrade. We decided that we should get to enjoy it for a few years so we made choices that pleased us instead of just going neutral to maximize resale value. A real estate agent friend, for instance, said that for resale value keeping the floor the same as the rest of the first floor is optimal. We disregarded that advice because we simply preferred tile.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
I don't understand the cleaning issues.

This. Granted we have a cleaning lady, but that’s only every other week. I don’t notice anything in the interim. Maybe we’re extra neat? Or I’m extra oblivious?

Posts: 30211 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post