well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The Scourge of White Appliances
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Scourge of White Appliances
 Login/Join

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted
Twenty years ago, we remodeled our kitchen. Maple cabinets, speckled dark gray granite. It is holding up reasonably well, but then again, we don't have the money or patience for another remodel anyway.

Back then, we had a new-ish cooktop and oven, both in white, so we re-used them for the remodel. That means we also got a white refrigerator, dishwasher, and built-in microwave.

It is now 2018, and we have replaced various appliances as they broke down, always in white. I now need a new oven and maybe a cooktop. The Bosh dishwasher is less than a year old; the refrigerator is an eye-sore; the microwave is maybe halfway through its lifespan.

Should I just go ahead and get a stainless steel oven and stainless cooktop? That will mean I have mismatched appliances for a few years while my white ones die out. Is this a sin? Or should I just stick with white until I do a full remodel someday?

Posts: 18168 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
If it make you happy having stainless steel, and *you* don’t mind the non-matching, then I say do it.

--------------------------------
Smiler Jodi
http://todayatmydesk.weebly.com

Posts: 18020 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Some people find stainless steel annoying because they find it difficult to clean. Someone on this forum (who no longer posts) used to rail against stainless incessantly.

We have stainless, in fact recently got a SS refrigerator. It's about time we cleaned off the fingerprints. We found a spray stainless cleaner that seems to work.

I don't worry about matching. Our wall oven is black, so doesn't match the stainless.

Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the human race. -- H.G. Wells

Posts: 11676 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
One of our stainless fridges was not actually stainless, but an enamel that looks like stainless (that is much easier to clean). I did lose my mind trying to make the stainless fridge in one of our houses look clean. I think I swore after that fridge that I would buy a black one the next time.

Smiler Jodi
http://todayatmydesk.weebly.com

Posts: 18020 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I am not fond of black appliances, maybe it depends on the rest of the kitchen though.

Also, re stainless plus white, that’s probably what I would do... although I don’t have anything against white appliances either....

/notveryhelpful suave

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 11601 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
About stainless steel kitchen appliances, (1) I think they are harder to (keep) clean than white ones, (2) they may not be magnetic, as in your old refrigerator magnets may not stick on the new stainless steel refrigerator. If having a large metal surface on which magnets will stick to is important to you, bring along a piece of magnet to test when you go shopping.

Personally, I don’t much about matching color.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings

Posts: 10766 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Minor Deity
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
indoor plumbing? check
electric lights? check
heat? check
a way to cook food and wash dishes and store perishables? check

can't imagine caring beyond that point. if the appliances all work, don't replace them. when you do replace one, get what you like. if you don't live there long enough to replace them all to match, it's the next owner's problem.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 19101 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Mine are "almond" which the makers now call "biscuit". A couple years ago, the fridge died. Home Despot had the fridge I wanted in white, black, or "biscuit". But the biscuit one was 150 miles away and I had to wait two weeks for it to travel that great distance.

I waited so I still have everything matching.

Why can't they make a fridge that's fingerprint color? I have a car that's sort of moss color and it never looks dirty.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

When a door closes, a can of worms opens.

Posts: 26492 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
Mine are "almond" which the makers now call "biscuit". A couple years ago, the fridge died. Home Despot had the fridge I wanted in white, black, or "biscuit". But the biscuit one was 150 miles away and I had to wait two weeks for it to travel that great distance.

I waited so I still have everything matching.

Why can't they make a fridge that's fingerprint color? I have a car that's sort of moss color and it never looks dirty.

We have had white appliances since 1976. White appliances are timeless. No one knows what will be the next big thing after stainless.’ I would stick with white.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 26511 | Location: Yorba Linda, CA | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I cannot appreciate a thread about all the white ones dying out.

“Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut, that held its ground.” - David Icke

Posts: 10949 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Don and I agree on one thing.
White
We have a stainless stove only because the old one quit while I was in Tucson.
I ordered the new one by phone, not noticing the color.

Slogan for ANYONE running against 45 in 2 years (Republicans included): “Hindsight 2020”

Posts: 20311 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
We have a stainless refrigerator. Magnets work on it. There are no fingerprints because it is always covered with photographs under magnets.

Posts: 41799 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican Party identification has begun requiring intellectual vacuity.

-- Jennifer Rubin (she's a conservative for those who don't read much)
Beatification Candidate
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
We have black and stainless appliances. I don't understand the cleaning issues. I think they look better than white. We're in the middle of remodeling our kitchen. Black granite, pewter walls, gray tile floor, grey/white/black/brown glass tile backsplash. The stainless and grey appliances go perfectly.

Posts: 7678 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
I cannot appreciate a thread about all the white ones dying out.

The stainless will rule is all.

Posts: 26511 | Location: Yorba Linda, CA | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
We will be moving in three years. I intend to drop some $500 on a bunch of junk stainless appliances about 30 minutes before we list to satisfy the stupid.

The white stuff is going with us.