Notify
Tools

SOTU
 Login/Join

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted
Did anyone watch it? If so, what did you think?

I didn't/couldn't watch it. To be honest, I could think of few things that would have been a bigger waste of time. First of all, SOTUs are always theatrical garbage, with policy ideas added. Second, I don't believe a single word that comes out of Individual 1's mouth. He could easily flip-flop on anything he said.

I heard that the average SOTU floats about 40 policy ideas (loosely defined). This speech? eight. And again, nothing to be believed. Here's what I read:

1. Push the Senate to confirm Trump's nominees.
2. Approve funding for HIV and childhood cancer, with a goal of eliminating HIV by 2030. (Side note: but he eliminated the WH HIV/AIDS council about a year ago, so...?)
3. Address rising cost of prescription medicine in the USA, esp relative to other countries.
4. Require health providers to disclose their prices.
5. Pass a big infrastructure bill.
6. The wall. Yeah, right.
7. Make late-term abortions illegal.
8. Give him authority to establish punitive tariffs. (I guess that's kind of redundant.)

Did I miss anything?

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Don't know. Didn't watch it. Big Grin

At 82 minutes, I guess the ratio of proposals per minute was very low... Evil

Posts: 12537 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Best defense against a con man or propagandist? Ignore. Discuss what needs to be discussed, but ignore any tweet, speech or rally.

Don't even try to challenge 'facts'... That's my standard response to any family member that wants to discuss tRump...

--------------------------------
Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7555 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
I watched it. Well prepared.

There was a group of women sitting in a group ... dressed in all white. Impressive to see the change. They took over a 'more women getting jobs' mention and stood and cheered. Not what T expected!

Overall it was a Me me me speech.

But he was the most well behaved as ever seen, I think.

Personally I hate him, just in case you hadn't noticed.

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Let's not complain about him not making a lot of proposals, m'kay?

It's like the people who complain about him playing too much golf. Fvck that, 36 holes a day is fine with me.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
I did think the rebuttal speech very well thought out and presented. Will listen again on the news.

Stacey Abrams

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
You make a good point. But seriously, his speech was almost 2 hours long and contained very little in the way of proposals. What did he do to fill the rest of the time? I'm thinking I probably don't want to know the answer to that, but I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that he took credit for everything from the Magna Carta to Tom Brady's 6 super bowl wins. Big Grin

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
Let's not complain about him not making a lot of proposals, m'kay?

It's like the people who complain about him playing too much golf. Fvck that, 36 holes a day is fine with me.

+1 and +1

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Did not watch it. Hearing Individual 1 talk makes me physically ill.

I heard that the president is allowed to personally invite up to 13 guests to attend in person and one of his guests was a person who was injured in a car collision involving an undocumented immigrant.

I wonder if he supports banning alcohol.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
You make a good point. But seriously, his speech was almost 2 hours long and contained very little in the way of proposals. What did he do to fill the rest of the time? I'm thinking I probably don't want to know the answer to that, but I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that he took credit for everything from the Magna Carta to Tom Brady's 6 super bowl wins. Big Grin

1 minute speech, 2-3 minute applaud. Over and over.

I do not understand his R support. I had noticed non support the first few weeks. They caved.

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Like PJ, I find it hard to listen to the guy. Such a transparent sleaze, I don't know how anyone can put up with him.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13813 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rontuner:
Best defense against a con man or propagandist? Ignore. Discuss what needs to be discussed, but ignore any tweet, speech or rally.

Don't even try to challenge 'facts'... That's my standard response to any family member that wants to discuss tRump...

I agree. Have learned this from long hard life experience. Only effective way to deal with a narcissistic sociopath is to behave as if they don't exist. I don't let Mr. Pique even talk to me about this one any more. I've declared my life a t-free zone.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post