well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Signing into websites with FB or Google account

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Signing into websites with FB or Google account
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
You’ve probably seen it on lots of apps and websites: buttons urging you to sign in with your Google or Facebook account. Sometimes it’s to let you share files, photos or emails. Other times it’s to use Google or Facebook as a quick way to log in somewhere new.

My rule of thumb is to just say no.

There are too many ways using these buttons can leak personal information or help Big Tech track you. There are some exceptions when it’s useful — but you might be surprised, and a little regretful, if you saw how many random sites have access to your Google or Facebook data. (Below, I’ll show you how to check and revoke access.)

What could go wrong? This month, Facebook warned a million Facebook users their accounts might have been compromised by 400 malicious apps that were designed to trick them into handing over their Facebook log-in information. Criminals were making fake log-in buttons.

And I’d like to share a doozy of a cautionary tale: A Washington Post reader wrote to me recently about a Google log-in button on a job portal called iCIMS designed — at least in theory — to help people upload their résumés. Turns out, using it inadvertently grants the site access to your entire collection of digital files.

https://wapo.st/3DC6rTU

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37880 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Yikes!

I have always avoided those options to sign in w/ FB but I sometimes do with Google, not a lot but not never. I will make it a point not to anymore!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18438 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Popularity Seeker
Picture of Catseye3
posted Hide Post
I never use them because I don't know WTH they're talking about.

Sometimes ignorance really is bliss.

Thanks, WTG.

"Success is measured by your discipline and inner peace." -- Mike Ditka

Posts: 753 | Registered: 27 December 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post