well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    I'm taking bets as to what happens (usual warning)
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm taking bets as to what happens (usual warning)
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
What I think will happen:

He’ll declare an emergency
It’ll be tied up in courts
He’ll claim victory to his base
The Dems will claim victory to theirs
The government will reopen

That is a good guess, except ...

quote:
It’ll be tied up in courts

If I had to guess what will happen, I'd say that a suit is filed, a stay is issued in the lower courts, and the Supreme Court lifts the stay, and the wall gets built while the case is ongoing.

A lesser order possibility is that the Supreme Court decides the case on an emergency basis. If that happens, I'd bet they let him build the wall.

And an even lesser order possibility is that the Supreme Court says that he can't build the wall, and he decides not to listen to the Supreme Court. I think even Republicans would have to balk at that.

Posts: 45718 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I don’t think a majority would allow the taking of property while the case is ongoing.

We’ll probably get a chance to see, though.

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don’t think a majority would allow the taking of property while the case is ongoing.

We’ll probably get a chance to see, though.

Takings are a different story. But, remember, the government has a right to take property, as long as there is "just compensation". So, Trump could argue that the taking is immediately valid, and the lawsuit is merely about the price to be paid. That might pass muster with five Justices.

Posts: 45718 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
I think the real impediment will be using military appropriations to build the wall. That could be illegal, but it also could upset the Military Industrial Complex, which owns a lot of senators.

Also, remember that $5 billion will only build 200 miles of wall. What about the other 1800 miles?

Posts: 19753 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
Also, remember that $5 billion will only build 200 miles of wall. What about the other 1800 miles?

If the military does the work they will be lucky if they can build half that length for $5 Bil.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34795 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by well-tempered gardener:

What odds will you give me that he'll be with AMLO holding a gigantic check for $5B?

I just saw this.

ROTFLMAO

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37651 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Well, the Cato institute has been running some numbers. 50B for the wall seems like a wild underestimate. Likely more than 100B.

Cato discussion of cost

The total of state appropriations for all of public higher education in 2017 is only 84B.

Posts: 12474 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

What odds will you give me that he'll be with AMLO holding a gigantic check for $5B?

I just saw this.

ROTFLMAO

Big Grin

I did a search just now and nobody has photoshopped it up yet. I’m surprised!

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
Picture of piqaboo
posted Hide Post
He'll declare Nat'l Emergency, start on the wall, crow about all the jobs the wall created, and those who want to, will buy it wholly.

OT's ball 'n chain

Posts: 2691 | Registered: 07 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqaboo:
... and those who want to, will buy it wholly.

The walnuts.

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10557 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bernard:
quote:
Originally posted by piqaboo:
... and those who want to, will buy it wholly.

The walnuts.
Heh.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30027 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post