well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    I'm taking bets as to what happens (usual warning)
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm taking bets as to what happens (usual warning)
 Login/Join

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
I do take it for granted that the Dems are less adept at messaging, but during the past two years, with GOP controlling all branches of gov't, the GOP seemed to be making all the pronouncements.

I am ignorant on how media exposure works, but tell me, how should they get their message out? Should Schumer or Pelosi just hold press conferences? Dem congresspeople do get on MSNBC but probably not so often on Fox.

Yes they hold press conferences but they also talk to reporters at the serious MSM. Right now the serious press is having a field day and they are sharp eared and ready to tell these stories. Maybe the problem is that they don't work for FOX.

--------------------------------
fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21284 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by well-tempered gardener:
I'm taking bets as to what happens (usual warning)

What odds will you give me that he'll be with AMLO holding a gigantic check for $5B?

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
I suspect he may very well declare a national emergency. That would be a coup of sorts since the laws governing those "emergencies" are so obviously designed for very different situations. We are really so close to a Reichstag moment. And yes, I know that Hitler analogies are fraught.

Declaring a national emergency on such transparently false circumstances likely will cause Congressional pushback. They would probably remove all presidential authority to do such things in the future, when circumstances may legitimately require such a presidential action.

As of a year ago there were 28 National Emergencies still in effect, including the oldest under the current law, declared by President Carter after the Iranian hostages were taken. Yes, that's been renewed by every president since Carter.

Abuse of the intent? Certainly.

Coup? Reichstag moment? Hardly.

https://www.lawfareblog.com/em...ral-states-emergency

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
I suspect he may very well declare a national emergency. That would be a coup of sorts since the laws governing those "emergencies" are so obviously designed for very different situations. We are really so close to a Reichstag moment. And yes, I know that Hitler analogies are fraught.

Declaring a national emergency on such transparently false circumstances likely will cause Congressional pushback. They would probably remove all presidential authority to do such things in the future, when circumstances may legitimately require such a presidential action.

There won't be any effective pushback until there's a Democratic President, and the Republicans are suddenly terrified of the precedent they've created.

Posts: 45721 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Just my observation from 30 years in the bizniss: if a flying machine has not been properly inspected, it is not allowed to fly. Do not be concerned that the next flying machine you board is not safe. Now, if things get backed up there will be canceled flights. But no compromise to safety.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30028 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
The government will be funded and life will go on as normal.

Your source?

WTG is taking bets.

Bets don't need sources.

Posts: 24617 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:

As of a year ago there were 28 National Emergencies still in effect, including the oldest under the current law, declared by President Carter after the Iranian hostages were taken. Yes, that's been renewed by every president since Carter.

Abuse of the intent? Certainly.

Coup? Reichstag moment? Hardly.

I guess I'd like to see the list. This one has a big price tag of the sort that should originate in the House.

Posts: 12480 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
Just my observation from 30 years in the bizniss: if a flying machine has not been properly inspected, it is not allowed to fly. Do not be concerned that the next flying machine you board is not safe.
Thank you! I have to fly in a few days, and I do not expect the "shutdown" to be resolved by that time.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12675 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just my observation from 30 years in the bizniss: if a flying machine has not been properly inspected, it is not allowed to fly. Do not be concerned that the next flying machine you board is not safe. Now, if things get backed up there will be canceled flights. But no compromise to safety.

Thank you. But what happens if there aren't enough tsa workers or air traffic controllers?

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21284 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
quote:

Thank you. But what happens if there aren't enough tsa workers or air traffic controllers?
Delays and cancelations.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30028 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
Picture of piqaboo
posted Hide Post
The Dems should be saying "budget proposal B contains xxx for homeland security, this that and the other good thing." Huh, The D vetoed it. Proposal C contains .. " repeat.
They should be highlighting things that the D's supporters care about.
They should be running stories on hardworking supporters who are losing college admin, property loans, medical treatment - due to the shutdown.

OT's ball 'n chain

Posts: 2691 | Registered: 07 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
They're starting to do that.

Pelosi and Schumer made some remarks after today's non-meeting with Individual 1 and enumerated ways in which ordinary folks are being adversely impacted.

They need to bring on the full court press.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37683 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Why don't they say the wall will cost $60 billion, which is enough taxpayer money to [fill in the blank].

I wonder how many kids could go to a public college on $60 billion? In-state tuition is about $10k.

So shouldn't they say that we can build a wall or we can send 600,000 to public university?

Posts: 19753 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
They should do nothing but constantly repeat that Trump promised México would pay for the wall.

(autocorrect added the accent mark, I’m not usually that pretentious)

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
What I think will happen:

He’ll declare an emergency
It’ll be tied up in courts
He’ll claim victory to his base
The Dems will claim victory to theirs
The government will reopen