well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The Dershowitz Principle
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Dershowitz Principle
 Login/Join

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted
First, remember that Dershowitz is a criminal law professor (that is a professor of criminal law, not that he is a criminal, although there is one outstanding allegation against him associated with Epstein). He is not a constitutional law professor. Or even a constitutional lawyer. He is a criminal lawyer. Criminal lawyers work by presenting interpretations of words and sentences, even if they need to twist a sentence into a pretzel to make it mean what they want it to mean.

Dershowitz says that if "a" president thinks his is the greatest president ever, and believes that getting re-elected serves the nation's interests, then anything that president does, however unprincipled, immoral, or downright illegal, is perfectly fine and cannot be grounds for impeachment.

Republican senators are glomming on to this argument to justify their vote to acquit I-1.

If that stands, we have just lost our democracy. Our Grand Experiment has failed in less than 250 years.

Sad!

--------------------------------
pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Seen on Twitter:

A legal team madder than hatters
Tore Article I into tatters.
“A quo for a quid?
So what if he did?
He’s POTUS, and nothing else matters.”

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Considering human nature and the difficulties
encountered in establishing it, I am surprised it lasted as long as it did.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
The Wall Street Journal buys in to it.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34927 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I can't even right now with this....

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18438 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I don’t think it’s as portentous as this. It’s not like they start from this argument and got to acquittal. They started with acquittal and went searching for arguments.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I see it as one step away from Nixon's declaration that "when the President does it, that means it's not illegal".

Convince me I'm wrong. Talk me off the ledge.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
As an aside, Nixon also said:

"With all the power that a president has, the most important thing to bear in mind is this: You must not give power to a man unless, above everything else, he has character. Character is the most important qualification the president of the United States can have."

"Never forget, the press is the enemy."

"I didn't do anything wrong and I promise to never do it again."

And at the time, many people thought he was the most awful President we could ever have.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
I don’t think it’s as portentous as this. It’s not like they start from this argument and got to acquittal. They started with acquittal and went searching for arguments.

What difference would that make in terms of the next time, or the next? Serious question. The precedent is now set.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
What difference would that make in terms of the next time, or the next? Serious question. The precedent is now set.

And it's on Roberts' head.

What a tool he turned out to be.

Posts: 34927 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
I can't even right now with this....

+1

But Dershowitz is a POS

Posts: 24710 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Yes, that

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I just don’t think they set much store in the argument itself. Anymore than McConnell would hold back on reviewing a SCOTUS nominee next month because of what he said 4 years ago.

Let’s say the next President is a Democrat who gets caught giving nuclear secrets away for campaign contributions. Not impeachable according to Dershowitz, assuming he or she considered re-election to be key to national security. You think the GOP will feel bound by the precedent?

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Well, I guess even Dershowitz isn’t buying Dershowitz. But it takes some real word spaghetti for him to say “that’s what I said, but it’s not what I said”. Sheesh.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/30...ump-cnntv/index.html

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
It’s important to note that he’s a Harvard man, just in case anyone here thinks Ivy League colleges are providing anything resembling an education.