well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    A National Display of Cowardice

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A National Display of Cowardice
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I'm generally not one who likes using "why did't you fawningly apologize over and over again" as a cudgel. In this case, however, I might make an exception.

The GOP has rallied the forces of "American Patriotism" against muslims whenever they (our dear GOP patriots) think that muslims (and the muslim community) have not fully and repeatedly abased themselves over every outrage committed by their extremist co-religionists. So I have no problem with staring at all of my GOP "leaders" and demanding the same fawning apologies for what their own dear leader says, every time he goes off and delivers another body blow to the American idea.

Posts: 12503 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
I'm generally not one who likes using "why did't you fawningly apologize over and over again" as a cudgel. In this case, however, I might make an exception.

The GOP has rallied the forces of "American Patriotism" against muslims whenever they (our dear GOP patriots) think that muslims (and the muslim community) have not fully and repeatedly abased themselves over every outrage committed by their extremist co-religionists. So I have no problem with staring at all of my GOP "leaders" and demanding the same fawning apologies for what their own dear leader says, every time he goes off and delivers another body blow to the American idea.

That is excellent.

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Well, at least we haven't been hearing about Republican congresspersons quietly saying "tsk tsk" in private while publicly saying nothing.

And I-1 doubles down:
quote:
Asked by a reporter if he was concerned that his tweets had been seen by some as racist, Mr Trump said he was not.

"It doesn't concern me because many people agree with me," he added

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-48997008

So, it's okay to be a azzhole if there are "many people" who agree with you.

We live in interesting times.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30029 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
So, it's okay to be a azzhole if there are "many people" who agree with you.

Far too polite ...

Posts: 12503 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
A few are heard from.
https://www.axios.com/donald-t...c7-e616d6ee46fe.html

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
No, I thought, President Donald Trump was boorish, dim-witted, inarticulate, incoherent, narcissistic and insensitive. He's a pathetic bully but an equal-opportunity bully - in his uniquely crass and crude manner, he'll attack anyone he thinks is critical of him. No matter how much I found him ultimately unfit, I gave still him the benefit of the doubt about being a racist. No matter how much I came to dislike him, I didn't want to think that the president of the United States is a racial bigot.

But Sunday left no doubt.

quote:
What's just as bad, though, is the virtual silence from Republican leaders and officeholders. They're silent not because they agree with Trump. Surely they know better. They're silent because, knowing that he's incorrigible, they have inured themselves to his wild statements; because, knowing that he's a fool, they don't really take his words seriously and pretend that others shouldn't, either; because, knowing how damaging Trump's words are, the Republicans don't want to give succor to their political enemies; because, knowing how vindictive, stubborn and obtusely self-destructive Trump is, they fear his wrath.

But none of that is good enough. Trump is not some random, embittered person in a parking lot - he’s the president of the United States. By virtue of his office, he speaks for the country. What’s at stake now is more important than judges or tax cuts or regulations or any policy issue of the day. What’s at stake are the nation’s ideals, its very soul.

Conway's remarks in their entirety:

https://www.syracuse.com/opini...cist-commentary.html

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37773 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
[OT]Ya gotta wonder what that couple's pillow talk is like.[/OT]

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:

...But none of that is good enough. What’s at stake are the nation’s ideals, its very soul.

All the foregoing and the above are true, but I can never think of HWMNBN without thinking foremost of the environment - already endangered and now at our last chance to rescue it for the entire planet, and certainly not merely for the USA.

That comes first to me. What good is a society, better or worse, without a habitat for its members (world-wide) to live in?

Souls inhabit bodies.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
This has been the Republican platform for a long time. It’s refreshing to hear them saying the quiet parts out loud.

Better the devil you know...

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34838 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post