well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Bully Pulpit

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bully Pulpit
 Login/Join

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted
I was just listening to the PBS radio show "A Way with Words" while driving back to the office. A caller asked about the original meaning of TR's "bully pulpit." That led to a discussion of how the term has changed.

Really?

Some people think the term "bully pulpit" means a place where you spew hateful things, i.e. act as a bully?

Roll Eyes

Might color one's (ignorant) view of Roosevelt.

Posts: 12474 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Hmmm. I guess I would have assumed that most everyone knew the term, at least at some basic level. To equate it with hateful speech is, well, creative.

Makes me wonder how they're interpreting various commentary.

Posts: 35360 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
Hmmm. I guess I would have assumed that most everyone knew the term, at least at some basic level.

And we would have assumed incorrectly, it seems.

Posts: 12474 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
wouldn't be the first time for me.... suave

Posts: 35360 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Pardon my ignorance, but wasn't Teddy supposed to be somewhat of a bully? Pulpit aside?

Posts: 45719 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
We should ask Doug.