well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Today I saw...
Page 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 69

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Today I saw...
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rontuner:
Remember the water stain? Sanded through the finish - tried regular bleach - not much difference. Tried one session of wood bleach today - getting better!

Now we're getting somewhere!

Or at least, YOU are. As for me - I was belatedly struck by the basic truth that your success may have zero meaning for me.

Our random width oak flooring is heavily stained, at present with age, a deep golden hue overall.

Yours OTOH appears to be unstained, apart from a poly coating which must add a little something. Just guessing, it's a pretty new floor based on the absence of yellowing (I LOVE that reddish oak hue it so often begins with - so often lost over time, though.)

When oak isn't stained, it's a lot easier to remove acquired blemishes. The one spot in our LR sanded ages ago by a contractor (don't even remember why), has remained virtually white - won't even take a stain put down in an attempt to blend it. Just seems to soak it up, then turn that same "white" again. (How come, woodworkers?)

--------------------------------
The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Had lunch with a friend I had not yet met, in Portsmouth, NH.

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"One half of me is a hopeless romantic, the other half is so damn realistic."
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rustyfingers
posted Hide Post
Learned how to prevent AIDS from an info card in my hotel in China.

Problems are not the problem. Coping is the problem. --Virginia Satir

Posts: 8342 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 11 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post

Alpacas at Oregon Flock and Fiber Festival. (yesterday, actually)

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9789 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rustyfingers:
Learned how to prevent AIDS from an info card in my hotel in China.

I am so hoping that the center column is explaining how you CANNOT get HIV...?

Amazingly in Honduras, before some of the kids came to us we found that their families wouldn't let them eat from the family dishes.. Frowner

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rustyfingers
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, my mandarin isn't. But I assume so.

Posts: 8342 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 11 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
RF, I showed this my office walking friend who is Taiwanese.

She confirmed my interpretation.

MillCityGrows.org

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Today I saw:

A very nice back yard:

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Tonight I saw:

Fruits of our labor:

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Let there be light!

Cool, Steve.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37793 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Last night I saw Chris Thile, mandolinist, playing Bach to bluegrass. No pics, sorry.

Bach on a mandolin is really lovely. Kind of lute-like. The notes are so clear. He played a sonata in G minor, and a partita in B minor. Amazing!

And then some more "normal" mando stuff. He used to play with Nickel Creek.

PS: He's declared this month to be Bachtober!

Posts: 9789 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rustyfingers
posted Hide Post

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AdagioM:
Last night I saw Chris Thile, mandolinist, playing Bach to bluegrass. No pics, sorry.

Bach on a mandolin is really lovely. Kind of lute-like. The notes are so clear. He played a sonata in G minor, and a partita in B minor. Amazing!

LOVE mandolin!

If you need to feed the need for more mandolin, look up Emmylou Harris "Bluebird". That one has an entire mandolin orchestra and a more glorious sound I can not imagine. ThumbsUp

Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Oh carp...

no, I mean coy...

[/URL]

Went to pick up some used mahoghany German doors...but they would be boring to post...however the guy had a great koi pond and they came right over to me...well, not me, but a handout (that I didn't have)

This is only half of them

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
quote:
Originally posted by AdagioM:

LOVE mandolin!

If you need to feed the need for more mandolin, look up Emmylou Harris "Bluebird". That one has an entire mandolin orchestra and a more glorious sound I can not imagine. ThumbsUp

Thank you; playing on Spotify right now. (We have a subscription and I love it)

The friend I play and sing with plays mando, and we have so much fun!