well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Today I saw...
Page 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ... 69

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Today I saw...
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Wine family and llamas...what could be better?

Love the sunset RF

--------------------------------
The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
As the weather gets a little bit more spring-like, we're finally getting back out for longer walks. Went to Fullersburg Woods for an hour stroll. About 3/4 of the way through, we came up to the "sugar cabin" that is used for Maple syrup boiling down demonstrations. We were pleasantly surprised to find a nice fire burning!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7546 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
It's been pouring here. Yesterday I saw a double rainbow.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9789 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
My garden angel had not been seen for ? weeks. She's a couple feet tall at least and sits on a stump that's 10-12" tall. I think we melted at least 10" yesterday and today.

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10563 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bernard:
My garden angel had not been seen for ? weeks. She's a couple feet tall at least and sits on a stump that's 10-12" tall. I think we melted at least 10" yesterday and today.

That's a lot of snow, Bernard! We don't get snow like that very often.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9789 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Just one of the morning's traffic snags..

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
I am amazed by how prevalent wild turkeys have become. I never saw them in the wild until about thirty years ago and now I see them regularly. Meanwhile, pheasants have become nearly nonexistant. It's been several years since I've seen one in the wild. There's a lot about wildlife population that I don't understand.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7381 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by big al:
I am amazed by how prevalent wild turkeys have become. I never saw them in the wild until about thirty years ago and now I see them regularly. Meanwhile, pheasants have become nearly nonexistant. It's been several years since I've seen one in the wild. There's a lot about wildlife population that I don't understand.

Big Al

I wonder if something has happened to the predator population?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34852 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
I commented on FB, but I still giggled when I saw your photo here BL!

A parade!!!

ROTFLMAO

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
This particular flock is nearly 40 large. The house they are walking from feeds them I am sure...You can find them in the driveway foraging every afternoon. They have kept the same territory and grown to quite a large group over the last 3 years or so. Someone even made some cute "Turkey Crossing" signs. Smiler

I never saw a wild turkey till about 15 years ago and now around here they are very common.

Yankee Magazine did a great piece on The Return of Native Turkeys. At least here in New England.

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of susan dorris
posted Hide Post
There are occasionally wild turkeys in my yard, just strolling around and making themselves at home. They keep a certain distance if I am outside, but don't seem frightened.

Quite a long time ago, I frequently saw a golden pheasant. He was wild, but quite conspicuous in his flashy feathers.

Posts: 4843 | Location: Saint Louis, MO | Registered: 21 September 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
quote:
Originally posted by BeeLady:
And the man himself.. Big Grin

Love this guy!

I especially like his "stations of the cross" and the whimsy in the things he makes from horseshoes.

If I had a piece of his work I would paint it though.

I have a real aversion to rust.

Speaking as a former welding sculptor (have one of my favorites on the wall, steel - rusted, of course!). HairRaising

(The aluminum pieces were safe, but heliarc is very difficult).

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BeeLady:
Yankee Magazine did a great piece on The Return of Native Turkeys. At least here in New England.

I liked reading that. It made me look into how the wild turkey came to rebound in Pennsylvania. There has always been some population, but it had declined to an estimated 5000 left before restoration efforts began, largely aimed at moving some flocks into vacant suitable habitat. That led me to other topics at the Game Commision website where I found this information concerning the decline of pheasants.

quote:
PHEASANT POPULATION DECLINE

Pennsylvania had the distinction of having some of the highest pheasant densities in the nation around 1970. Why? The federal government developed programs to idle highly erodible farmland and boost crop prices. The Soil Bank (1956-66) and Feed Grain Program (1960s to 1973), idled 500,000 to 600,000 acres in Pennsylvania. Much of this land when idled was already planted in fields of timothy and clover, a preferred nesting cover for pheasants. When these federal programs were discontinued, farmland was put back into production.

By the mid 1970s, pheasant population and harvest trends had begun to decline. Not only in Pennsylvania, but in all eastern states. Economic trends in agriculture have resulted in intensified farming practices. Increased pesticide use, row crop acreage, earlier hay mowing, drainage of wetlands, the elimination of hedgerows on agricultural lands, and increasing urban sprawl all have contributed to the decline of pheasant populations.

More subtle changes also are taking their toll on pheasants and other wildlife dependent on farmland and grassland habitats. The few hedgerows and small woodlots that still exist may seem to remain unchanged, but as they mature, the understory cover so important to pheasants, rabbits and many other animals diminishes. Brushy areas have grown into small woodlots, and the small woodlots of years ago are maturing into forests that provide habitat for squirrels, turkey and deer.

Pheasant range has shrunk at an alarming rate. Approximately 716,000 acres of farmland mostly prime pheasant habitat were lost to urban development from the mid-'70s through the early 1990s. Within the last decade, the greatest changes to Pennsylvania's farmland have been the permanent conversion of agricultural lands to commercial and residential development. The intensification of farming on remaining agricultural areas provides little winter cover and virtually no secure nesting cover for pheasants. Besides the direct loss of wildlife habitat, development leads to more roads and more traffic. This fragmentation often results in habitat patches too small to sustain viable pheasant populations.

That certainly is consistent with what has happened where I live. Prior to WW II, the area was mostly modest sized farms and orchards. These gradually went out of production and more brush and woodland took over. Then more recently, a lot of that land has been cleared for residential development. My wife often complains that we moved to the country and the city followed us there. It would seem that loss of suitable habitat is at the root of the pheasant decline.

I only wish we could devise some practical method to make the white-tailed deer population decline. They've become very destructive, eating many plants that they formerly ignored. Hunting is severely restricted because of the many houses now present and we don't have any wolves. Sometines it seems that the only effective way to reduce the herds is by striking them with automobiles. Maybe we all need "bull bars" on our cars.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7381 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
The view out of our hotel window in NYC - the tram goes by pretty often too...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7546 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
For Steve Miller....Today at the dump. The owner is a great guy, a contractor who does amazing work. His own house is a vintage bungalow and he has added a second floor and addition to it, yet it looks just as it should.

He is also a volunteer fireman and often the first guy to arrive. Smiler He tells us the truck is his work truck, he made the flat bed out of reclaimed wood and it is a nice as any dining room table. The truck is a 1947.

MillCityGrows.org