well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Today I saw...
Page 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 69

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Today I saw...
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LL:

We did some work at a big house that had a long winding Koi stream on the property. Beautiful thing, went under the sidewalks with bridges and everything. Lots of Koi - some frying size.

They also had a big-o black Labrador Retriever who had dedicated his life to catching at least one of those fish before he died. The depth of the stream was such that it came about halfway up the dog's chest - to deep to run in, too shallow to swim - so the dog slogged through the water as best he could.

Every day, all day long.

And he never caught a single one. Cool

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34965 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
quote:
Originally posted by LL:

We did some work at a big house that had a long winding Koi stream on the property. Beautiful thing, went under the sidewalks with bridges and everything. Lots of Koi - some frying size.

They also had a big-o black Labrador Retriever who had dedicated his life to catching at least one of those fish before he died. The depth of the stream was such that it came about halfway up the dog's chest - to deep to run in, too shallow to swim - so the dog slogged through the water as best he could.

Every day, all day long.

And he never caught a single one. Cool

Some years ago here, there was a huge police investigation of Koi theft..Many homeowners reported missing fish.

In the end they determined it was....the local Great Blue Heron population at fault. Smiler

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Around here it's usually Pelicans.

They're fun to watch. ThumbsUp

Posts: 34965 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"One half of me is a hopeless romantic, the other half is so damn realistic."
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rustyfingers
posted Hide Post

Problems are not the problem. Coping is the problem. --Virginia Satir

Posts: 8342 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 11 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Last night's walk. Portland has an urban growth boundary, limiting sprawl but encouraging the strangest infill. Latest thing in our neighborhood: investors buying up little houses, tearing down everything but one wall (so it's a "remodel" instead of new construction, better for sales and for permits, I guess). Then enlarge the footprint, putting out of scale McMansion on standard size lots. Yuck. Here's the tear down.

Untitled

Here's the additional foundation, which comes to about 2 feet from the sidewalk.

Untitled

This one story house will probably be 2 stories, looming over the neighbors.

One cool thing in the 'hood: Every evening at dusk, the crows all come streaming back from the golf course a couple miles away, heading for a park where they sleep. They have some resting points along the way. There were about 30 crows in tree, on the lines, and a bunch in the street. A murder!

Untitled

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
MrsTuner and daughter on a steamy walk at Turkey Run state park.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7555 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AdagioM:
tearing down everything but one wall (so it's a "remodel" instead of new construction, better for sales and for permits, I guess).

It's permit fees. "New construction" triggers a whole raft of fees - some 20% - 40% of construction costs in some towns.

"Remodels" OTOH, don't.

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rustyfingers
posted Hide Post

Boston Public Piano. He was playing Ragtime. Video here: https://www.facebook.com/photo...09026&type=3&theater

Boston Globes

Boston University Mural

Posts: 8342 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 11 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rontuner:
MrsTuner and daughter on a steamy walk at Turkey Run state park.

Look like sisters. I'm still not sure which one is the missus.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
It takes a trip to get the whole family together... Here's the Tuner clan!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7555 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rustyfingers
posted Hide Post
Great family picture, Ron.

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Tough room for this tall tuner - the lid on this old Steinway ex-player is right up to the ceiling! Lots of hunching over.... Owner built the room around the piano!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rontuner:
Tough room for this tall tuner - the lid on this old Steinway ex-player is right up to the ceiling! Lots of hunching over.... Owner built the room around the piano!

That must be a lot of sound for that little room! My living room ceilings are only 7.5 feet tall, and the sound of my piano is almost too much for me.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Last night I saw sunset at San Clemente State Beach:

Today I saw thew same stretch of beach in the morning:

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Ron, is that Turkey Run in Indiana? Nice park. Near my in-laws.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13556 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post